Just Wondering.... About This Group...stupid Idea?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 5:29am by knoxcop1

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 120

I posted this as a private message because I was too chicken to put it up but then decided to anyway. I was thinking that I often wish I could get an occasion cake to someone I care about in another state or city. Then I was thinking how widespread this group is. Now I am sure there are lots of reasons why it would not work but.... what if.... there was a group of people who were willing if they had the time, etc. to make a cake for someone. Cakes could not be too elaborate or perhaps $$. IF, however, it was voluntary and I had a posting of what I could or was willing to do.... Like someone said "Hey Jopalis my brother lives in your area...could you make a cake for him?." Or someone could post to a folder about a cake needed and see if they get any replies... Probably would only work for folks who had the time to do it. Just an idea...don't shoot me or hit me with sock of old fondant as Melvira might....ROFLMAO. Ordering cakes by mail is so expensive and you don't know if they are even going to be good. OK... I had a thought now I have to go lie down....LOL! Feel free to not tell me if you think I am an idiot...

119 replies
jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 120

hey, don't be so hard on yourself! it sounds like a great idea!! it's not as if you'd be forcing anyone to do anything that they didn't want to do... i'd love it! especially since my entire family lives on the other side of the country icon_sad.gif
let me know if you do form a group!
Jill icon_biggrin.gif

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 120

That's actually a great idea. I have friends and family all over the country as far as Hawaii. You can't always be there for special occasions, but this is a fantastic way of showing you are thinking of them.
amy

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 120

I think it is a very clever idea you have.

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 120

I would love it too. Would we have to form group off of this forum or is it ok to just say have a folder with names of members that would like to be part of the consideration.... Someone posts need...if someone wants to do it they pm or e-mail.... I don't know.... I have a special relative who is sort of a shut in in Stamford, CT.... She got me thinking about it...

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 120

I think the ideal way to do it is to form the group off this forum... create a forum of your own. That way it's more like a bulletin board - when you log in, you can see the cake requests, see if there's any you can fill, post a request if you need it. As they're filled, the requests can be taken down. People can post pics of the cakes they make for others...
I think it's a wonderful idea... kind of a pay it forward type of thing icon_smile.gif

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 120

This sounds like a great idea. Maybe you can pm the main guys here and see what they think!

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 120

Maybe make it voluntary and if someone wants something elaborate they could contact privately to work out details.... Ideas....??

Charb31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charb31 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 120

What a great idea!! It's like a hallmark card but wayyy better! (when you care enough to send the best). I think we literally have members from every corner of the world, and states. How special would it be to have your sister get a cake from you, via proxy? I would definitely join the list!

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 120

I don't know how to do it off this forum....would we need a website... or just exchange e-mail addresses with those who want to participate and their locations.... Simple ideas kind of take on a life of their own.... Still think it sounds cool though.... I'm sure if any negative issue came up as result, the site would not want to be connected.

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:10pm
post #11 of 120

I think that's a wonderful idea! LMK!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 120

I think it's a great idea. Make it a volunteer thing. And as stated if someone wants to pay for it they could work out payment arrangements through private messages or email. That way each party would have a copy of the said contract with the price quotes. I have a pay pal account and have offered people that as an option in paying me for my cakes if they don't have cash but would prefer using a credit card to purchase they can do so thru my paypal account.... is worth thinking about icon_smile.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 120

Hi Jopalis,,
I am in CALIFORNIA, just like you.. You can make me a cake !!!
LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif .. I don't know where in CA you are at, but I am here in the Sacramento area. Where Ahrnold Schwartzenegger lives
.. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 120

I dont see what could be negative about it. Its almost like a referral service for local bakers.
Sounds like a great idea to me!

HeatherMari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherMari Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 120

I think it's a great idea too! I do not know too many people out of state but I would definitely be willing to fill orders when I could. Are we talking like a paid situation or just donation type thing? Before you start your board you could write out a "front page" kind of thing so everyone knows specifics too. We would also have to have some way to know that the order has been filled so someone doesn't get bombarded with birthday cakes...LOL!
Definitely let me know if you get this thing rolling....
HeatherMari

*edited because some other posts went up while I was writing the first time! I think even if we had an email list to give out of everyone willing to participate and there contact info that would be much easier than starting a board or running off CC and it might cause less confusion!

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 120

I think this could be fun! I'm really wanting to make more cakes, but my friends and family are all "caked-out"! It would be great to be able to help someone out and get in more practice at the same time. I'd definitely like to participate!

OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:15pm
post #17 of 120

Maybe Heath could set up a special forum area for this with a listing of who is willing to do this and where they are located. Like the first post would be If interested in participating post below with your information and we'd come in and post our information like mine would be Name: Becky, Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland, E-Mail/PM: I'd prefer PM's at first then maybe emails to finalize if needed. Something like that. And then people that are in need of our "services" could just PM the person closest to the location they need to send a cake to. I think it'd be great. And if anyone was concerned about paying for supplies and stuff maybe they could ask that a check for the exact amount of the NEEDS would be that way they aren't spending more then they would themselves. Like it would cost me about $10.~ to make a 8" 2 layer cake with buttercream icing give or take and it would cost them about the same thing to make it..... get what I'm saying?

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #18 of 120

OK...Who knows how to contact the "powers that be on this forum"? I was thinking of it being a voluntary thing and then if money got involved that would be private. I suppose if I was asked too many times I might say I can but I really need to charge something.... I am in the Santa Clarita Valley... not up in Sacaramento w/the Governator...LOL! Voluntary cakes would be limited in what was done or worked out between folks. But you know even our worst is often way better than the stores.... Not necessarily wanted it to be a way for business folks to advertise.... but they must have some way to be listed as a resource if someone wanted to know. Like if I started out wanting a voluntary "sweet thought" sent to someone and no one replied but I knew of folks in the business via this board.... I think that is off limits though... not for generating business.... I don't know...thinking aloud....

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #19 of 120

icon_surprised.gif I love this idea! icon_surprised.gif

I'd be interested in signing up, if y'all get it going!

--Knox--

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:26pm
post #20 of 120

I like this idea too! And I'd love an excuse to practice more cakes...I can only bring so many in to work.

LilBlackSheep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilBlackSheep Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #21 of 120

Stupid idea?!?! No way!!!

Count me in!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:28pm
post #22 of 120

Ok if this thing gets going someone in charge of it hit me up I'll give you my info or stop by where-ever I need to stop by and add my info icon_smile.gif Great idea hope it gets approved by CCstaffers icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:28pm
post #23 of 120

Yeah...voluntary but $ handled privately even if only for supplies or mileage.... What a bargain and personal touch. I wouldn't mind giving out my e-mail address.... I want one for Stamford, CT....LOL. Keep waiting for a board moderator to step on me re this.... icon_surprised.gif

jjs1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjs1227 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:29pm
post #24 of 120

I too also love this idea because I am unable to run a home busisness (i can't spell today icon_lol.gif ) I would love to have someone I could make a cake for besides family (I think mine too is getting sick of cakes too because I try to do a cake a week for practice) who I KNOW would love to get a cake.

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:32pm
post #25 of 120

I think it's a great idea. I don't really know too many people out of state that I would want to be sending cakes to, but I would love to help somebody else out. Let me know!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:40pm
post #26 of 120

Count me in too. I love this idea. thumbs_up.gif

Maybe knox can make me a cake, or a homemade meal icon_lol.gif (j/k)

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:41pm
post #27 of 120

count me in !!!

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:45pm
post #28 of 120

I love the idea, count me in!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 120

I love this idea, my dh is from florida and has family in a few states and he's in montreal with me lol I would love to be able to send his mom or gram a b/day cake from us. Count me in !!! thumbs_up.gif

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:46pm
post #30 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titansgold

I think it's a great idea. I don't really know too many people out of state that I would want to be sending cakes to, but I would love to help somebody else out. Let me know!

Titansgold - LOVE the saying!!!!! But they do get moody, so it's kinda like having a wife who will squish bugs LOL. FYI, all these are prior, but:
Me - USAF
Fiance - USMC
Ex-Dh - USNavy
Father - USArmy
Ds (icon_cool.gif - wants to be a pilot in USAF
Dd (4) - is a "Submarine" and wants to be a Marine

I would definantly be up for the volunteer thing! I'd say keep expenses under $10 plus gas, you can keep a "favor tally" ie you can get a favor, but have to do a favor before getting another. We would have to understand that the design is ultimately dependent on the skill and time of the decorator, but some may go "all out" if they are trying new skills. This would be basically single tier all occasion or birthday cakes, and special occasion cakes would be on a paying or private basis, not volunteer. I REALLY like this idea! It would give us more people to bake for, and the "pay it forward" basis is PERFECT!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%