Wilton Spiral Cake Separator

Decorating By Lazy_Susan Updated 31 May 2014 , 9:52pm by MariaRico

Lazy_Susan Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone here used the Wilton Spiral Cake Separator set? I used it on a Wedding cake yesterday and I was sooooooo nervous! I didn't feel that it gave much support at all! If anyone bumped the table the top tier would wobble. I was freaking out so bad. Has anyone else had this kind of an experience? I'm attaching a picture of the cake. I didn't think the sizes were off to make it wobble so much do you?

Also, don't even look at the frosting on this cake... I haven't yet mastered butter cream icon_cry.gif

Thanks
Lazy_Susan
LL

12 replies
LiliS Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 12:02am
post #2 of 13

your cake looks gorgeous!!! no need for icon_cry.gif , if that was my cake I'd be totally wrapt!

aprilmanning Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 3:32am
post #3 of 13

I used one of the spiral separators on a much smaller cake this afternoon (picture in my photos) and it was pretty wobbly. Every time someone walked by the top tier would wobble. I would use it again for the top tier (like I did today) but I wouldn't use it the way you did. Especially not at the bottom! I would have been a nervous wreck, too!

Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:12am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilmanning

I used one of the spiral separators on a much smaller cake this afternoon (picture in my photos) and it was pretty wobbly. Every time someone walked by the top tier would wobble. I would use it again for the top tier (like I did today) but I wouldn't use it the way you did. Especially not at the bottom! I would have been a nervous wreck, too!




Actually, the bottom was very stable. It didn't wobble from the bottom. It was all at the top. I would definitely use it on the bottom again but as for the top I think maybe for just one small cake. I mean, it wasn't terrible. The cake was fine and everyone loved it. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I did wrong that made it wobble.

DecoratorJen Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 13

Buttercream tip... after it starts to crust over you can use parchment paper and a spatula to smooth the icing more.

susanscakebabies Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 13

Your cake looks great. I am sorry you had such a time with the stand. I have not tried them but it is a good heads up if it comes up.

Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:32pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoratorJen

Buttercream tip... after it starts to crust over you can use parchment paper and a spatula to smooth the icing more.




I tried that but it didn't work for me. I need a lot more practice with it icon_sad.gif

susanscakebabies Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 13

Dont stress it looks great. You just need to find what works for you. The Melvira method is one, or the Viva method, or a warm spatula. Try them each till you find what works for you. It seems like everyone prefers something different.

lomikesa Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanscakebabies

Your cake looks great. I am sorry you had such a time with the stand. I have not tried them but it is a good heads up if it comes up.




Ditto!

jenlg Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 13

I just bought this set of separators..was this a waste of money? Are they unstable to use?

Lazy_Susan Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I just bought this set of separators..was this a waste of money? Are they unstable to use?




I don't think it's a waste of money. I think my cake would have been more stable on top if I had used more dowels or even larger ones. I will use mine again.
So don't worry and enjoy them icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

jenlg Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the tips!

MariaRico Posted 31 May 2014 , 9:52pm
post #13 of 13

Hello, do you by chance know where I can find these sets? I need one urgently and I desperately looking for a set.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%