Please Help!!! Need To Frost Cake "gold"

Decorating By mandm78 Updated 2 Jan 2007 , 9:53pm by AnnieT

mandm78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandm78 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:58am
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,

I am in dire need. Bride wants wedding cake frosted " antique gold". Is this even possible? I am making a 4 tiered cake with 2 frosted white and 2 frosted in an antique gold color. She doesn't want it covered in fondant. I have access to an airbrush machine but I have only used airbrush colors in it....not luster dust or powders. Can i just mix some of the dust/powder/gold liquid into the buttercream? Or maybe paint it on? If all else fails I will just frost cake with a warm yellow colored buttercream and call it a day. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

p.s. I joined a few months ago....have not posted any pics yet. I apologize for that, but I promise I will have some up real soon. (need daughters help)

11 replies
jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:15am
post #2 of 12

I haven't tried it myself but I saw a video of Duff doing that. He mixed the dust with some clear alcohol and then poured it into the air brush machine. I'm trying to find the video but no luck yet.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:10am
post #3 of 12

http://www.cakecentral.com/article2-How-To-Color-Your-Icing

Here is the link to the color mixtures.

LukeRubyJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LukeRubyJoy Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:20am
post #4 of 12

you maybe able to use the americolor gold. I have some myself, but haven't tried it yet.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:09am
post #5 of 12

hi,
I found that video if you still need it. you'll have to click on the video with the cake that has the "5" on it.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/InsideFox/Detail?contentId=1345394&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=5.2.1

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:18am
post #6 of 12

I paint a lot of my cakes with EdAble art's 'Golden Ginger' you mis it with rejuvenator spirit and paint it on to fondant - I have never tried it with buttercream. This is made in England, it is wonderful and well worth ordering. Have a look at some of my photos to see the colour it makes. A company called 'Almond Art' in the UK would ship it.

AnnieT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieT Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 2:26pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks guys for you help

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 12

How did the cake turn out? I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. Did you cover with fondant or buttercream? I was going to suggest using the Preval sprayer that Duff uses if you are covering with fondant.

Amy

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 3:58pm
post #9 of 12

Creative Color has a food decorating spray in luster colors with one in gold. I use this stuff all the time (I love sparkly cakes.) The Ultra color is like a pearl and basically it is a liquid luster dust. It comes in the same kind of can as the Wilton color mists, only this can is white with black printing. Most good cake decorating stores carry it. Good luck and we want to see pictures!!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 20 Nov 2006 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 12

Spraying luster dust with an airbrush gives a lovely finish. I just kind of eyeballed the ratio of dust to alcohol. It was really quite simple. It usually takes a few very light coats. You won't get it totally smooth the first time. If you try to go for complete coverage with just one coat, you run the risk of runs. For gold, I've gotten BEST results when I color the underneath frosting/fondant with some golden yellow food coloring. THEN spray the gold luster dust on top of that.

AnnieT Posted 21 Nov 2006 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 12

I have not done the cake yet but of course I will post the pictures when I am done. Thanks again, I am sure to use your suggestions.

AnnieT Posted 2 Jan 2007 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 12

I did the cakes in December and have now posted the picture I will try to attach the pic. Thanks again for all your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%