What Colors For A "maize And Blue" Cake

Decorating By buckibaker Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 9:44pm by Jopalis

buckibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buckibaker Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:29am
post #1 of 32

I am doing an OSU and Michigan cake for Friday. What color do I need to get to make the U of M colors? You can tell by my name that I am truly a Buckeye fan, but this cake is for the teachers at my kids' school and unfortunately some of them like Michigan thumbsdown.gif

Thanks and GO BUCKS!!!

ETA: I need to know which icing colors to get that would make these colors-either Wilton or AmeriColor (?)

31 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:39am
post #2 of 32

I got this off a webpage that discusses their school colors. Attached is a picture with caption of the answer.

Theresa icon_smile.gif
LL

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:01am
post #3 of 32

Ha Ha! We will be rooting for Michigan in my house! My DH is a HUGE Michigan football fan and he keeps talking about how this is the biggest game of his life (as if he plays for the team or something!!) LOL! Anyway, here's a pic of a cake I made for my hubby for his birthday. For the navy blue I used Wilton royal blue (lots) and added some black and violet. It made the perfect navy and for the "maize" color I used Wilton golden yellow.

GO BLUE!!!!

*alicia*
LL

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:08am
post #4 of 32

I wouldn't know how to make those "offending colors". All I can say is - -

O H......

Go Bucks thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:19am
post #5 of 32

Awesome cake!!!!!!

GO BLUE!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

buckibaker Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:57am
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

I wouldn't know how to make those "offending colors". All I can say is - -

O H......

Go Bucks thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

I O !!!!

Believe me, I don't want to make this cake-even my son was like "No, Mom, not the Michigan cake!"

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:46am
post #7 of 32

I've gotten Michigan cake orders before, too, and I've painstakingly accepted them. tapedshut.gificon_lol.gif

All I have to say is G-O-O-O-O-O BUCKS!!! That game is going to be sooooo exciting!!!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dalechick12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalechick12 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:50am
post #8 of 32

I used the americolor the royal blue (lots of it) and the lemon yellow for this cake it did for a friends birthday. I'm also doing a U of M and OSU cake this weekend for a football party i'm going to.

Go Michigan
LL

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 32

I bought the stadium cake pan from Nordic to make a cake for our neighborhood Beat Michigan party.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 32

It's like that at our house with Nascar. I did a Jeff Gordon cake for somebody and the kids were like, Mom how could you?! icon_eek.gif

In regard to color, I had a bottle of Wilton navy blue once. I used it all for graduations--our high school's colors are navy and white. I've been looking ever since to find more navy and can't. But at least we know Wilton makes it. That was the right color for what you need if you can find it.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:33pm
post #11 of 32

Oh, excuse me people....
It's MICHIGAN all the way!!
You can keep your buckeye balls, we've got CAKE BALLS!

GO, FIGHT, WIN!!
We have two Michigan players in my neighborhood, so our neighborhood is already alive and kicking for this weekend!!

Just needed to spice up this post for Maize and Blue all the way!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:38pm
post #12 of 32

That is so funny. Enjoy the cake making process and then turn of the tv and watch the game. Good luck to one and all.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:51pm
post #13 of 32

Same here, I have to do one of the "M" word cakes for a client too! icon_eek.gif My baby sis gets her PhD from Ohio State the 10th of Dec. So I will get to do a real nice OHIO STATE one then. icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:02pm
post #14 of 32

Though I am not a big football fan...I do have to say GO BLUE!

I'd probably go with a navy or dark royal blue and a gold

lauramw71 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:30pm
post #15 of 32

My goodness... We need more Michigan fans here darn it.. icon_smile.gif) I know that's off topic but *whew* Im feelin outnumbered here lol

buckibaker Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 1:25am
post #16 of 32

Well, I suffered through making the dreaded "M" cake. It's in my photos.

GO BUCKS!!!!!!

eta: I used Wilton Royal blue (a lot), violet and black to get the dark blue. For the yellow I used golden yellow-forgot the brand name.

thamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thamp Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:14am
post #17 of 32

Go Blue!!!!!!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:22am
post #18 of 32

OMG...you made a Michigan Cake????? How terrible for you.... I am a twice graduated Buckeye!!!! Not any laxatives in it since they are full of !@#$... No skunk extract? Just kidding folks... I have a friend who is an M alumnus and her husband is a Buckeye. Now that's love..... There little girl has both cheerleading outfits and they do throw game parties..... LOL!

Ishi Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 4:36am
post #19 of 32

I love all this friendly banter! Jopalis- My hubby would never even consider throwing a party during a U of M game. He can't have all the noise. He has to focus! LOL!

*alicia*

(When I asked him if he cared if I were asked to do an OSU cake, he said, "No, it's just a cake." to which I gasped, like many of you, and said, "Never say 'It's just a cake to a cake decorator!!!")

vickymacd Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 11:02am
post #20 of 32

Okay, let's wager a bet here.....
If (ugh!) Ohio wins (highly unlikely) I will eat cake balls dipped in red/white.
When Michigan wins (oh, yeah!) you all will eat cake balls dipped in blue/yellow.

Are we on ?

Actually, I think we all win on this one!

lauramw71 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:08pm
post #21 of 32

Last Sat nite my husband and I stopped at our favorite bar for a burger (and the worlds BESTEST BLT!! lol). Anyways we were watching the highlights from that days games. We were out of the loop after running errands all day and didnt know any scores. So he leans over and asks the guy sitting next to him if Michigan won. The man got quiet, and opens up his jacket, shows us his *gag* O-H(ugh i cant even finish spelling it but u know what im talking about) sweatshirt and says. I have NO idea, Im a Buckeye fan. Go figure, here we are in Illinois, and the ONE person we decide to ask about the game was a you-know-what-place-Im-talking-about fan. Sheesh.. LOL

Im all in for the lil wager goin icon_biggrin.gif

Ishi Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 6:27pm
post #22 of 32

I've got cake balls in the freezer just waiting to be dipped in maize and blue!

vickymacd Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 8:08pm
post #23 of 32

Ishi,
Looks like we outnumber them! It's the big "M" all the way!

buckibaker Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 1:58am
post #24 of 32

You don't have us outnumbered it's just that we don't *need* to state our case- WE are the Number 1 team!!! I made my OSU cake today-same one I made for my dad's bday and have a request to make another OSU cake!!!

Troy Smith has had Michigan's number for the last two years, he's going to make it a 3 peat!!!

Go Bucks!!

kcepenney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcepenney Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 2:11am
post #25 of 32

Ok, I haven't posted for awhile but I HAVE to stand up for my team! LOL!!

GO BLUE!!!

Yes, I use LOTS of royal blue and Golden yellow!

If I even thought of making a cake that had both teams...dh wouldn't even eat it!! LOLOLOL!!! They are very strict! hahaha.

Jopalis Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 6:41am
post #26 of 32

Yep... When you are number one that says it all! Go Bucks!

vickymacd Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 11:57am
post #27 of 32

First off, I sure hope we all answered the original post of what colors someone needed!
Next, there is a great cake that Cambo posted but I guess I couldn't post it here for some reason. But it really is a nice one for our teams!

Had fun here and we'll all see how it goes tomorrow!!
Okay, one last time....

GO, FIGHT, WIN!!!!! YEAH, MICHIGAN!!!
Oh, I'm also doing the happy dance right now.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jopalis Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 12:21am
post #28 of 32

GO BUCKS GO BUCKS GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eat them cake balls honey! Woooooo Hoooooo. O-H-I-O!!!!!!! Number one reigns triumphant!!!!!!!!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 1:59am
post #29 of 32

YAY BUCKS!!!!!!! WHAT A GAME!!!!!

Time for some scarlet and grey cake balls!!!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 2:39am
post #30 of 32

O-H......I-O!!! Image Great game!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%