Tall Bakery Boxes

Decorating By AmyKay Updated 23 May 2013 , 6:43pm by auntginn

AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 40

Has anyone found a place to purchase tall bakery boxes, like boxes over 7" tall? I'm finding that a lot of the cakes I do have decorations or something that put them over the standard 4"-6" cake box height. I'd love to find a place that offers bakery boxes over 7", do you know of one?? Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

39 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 40

http://www.papermart.com/Templates/03-0-10.htm#GO_03010

here are some white shipping boxes!

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 40

Let me know how that works for you in the shipping..thanks!

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 40

what size of box do I need for a decorated 13x9 sheet cake? also a 10 inch round cake...

thanks

AmyKay Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 40

Hi Vanz icon_smile.gif I try to give myself and least an inch or so when getting a box, so for the two you need I'd do a 10x14 and a 11" or 12" for the round.

Most of my customers are people I work with, so I bring the cake to work and they take it home, which is why I always try to box them up. Lately though, the boxes have just been to short. icon_redface.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 40

I didn't see any 7" tall boxes on that site. The tallest I saw was 5". Am I missing something?

AmyKay Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 40

I think she means if you click on the link, the page it takes you to has some shipping boxes, and those come in taller sizes. icon_smile.gif

Thanks KHalstead! Good luck with your move!

Dawns_Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawns_Goodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #8 of 40

How about Uline. These are shipping boxes but I use them all the time.
I also stamp them and use my scrapbooking stuff to decorate them!

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_402.asp?desc=Cube+Boxes

arosstx Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 40

What I learned in a class is that you can put the cake in a box that is not tall enough. The way you do it is to position the lid of the box up where it doesn't touch your cake top, then tape it on each side in that position.

Maybe that will help until you can get taller boxes!

RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 40

they had the 10 high boxes right on the page of the link.you have to scroll down!

arosstx Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 40

I saw that Risque, but how do you get a cake in and out of a box that opens at the top like that? You would have to leave a LOT of room to get your arms in it to pick up the cake and get it out it seems.

RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 10:07pm
post #12 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

I saw that Risque, but how do you get a cake in and out of a box that opens at the top like that? You would have to leave a LOT of room to get your arms in it to pick up the cake and get it out it seems.

before you put your cake in you will have to cut down the side so you make yourself a flap.

the cover will hold this flap in place until you take it off at the deliver site.

RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosstx

before you put your cake in you will have to cut down the side so you make yourself a flap.

the cover will hold this flap in place until you take it off at the deliver site.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 40

Only a couple of times have I been lucky enough to close one of my cake boxes. Mostly it just bangs on the top when driving or walking. So anytime I have something on the top of my piece I make sure is Rock Solid so it doesn't break.

I am acually very impressed with how sturdy my cakes are!

Cutting down a side of a box or decorating a box just seems like so much more work after putting together my pieces. And at 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning I just don't care. icon_wink.gif

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 11:50pm
post #15 of 40

For tall cakes that are 12" or smaller, I use those file boxes/Banker's boxes, like these. They are nice and strong, inexpensive, easy for clients to handle, reusable and have handles too:
LL

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:37am
post #16 of 40

thanks AmyKay!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:41am
post #17 of 40

hello AmyKay
and everyone else who's asking ...
Whenever I have a tall cake or a cake with standing decorations, I do something I learned from a demo a couple of years ago.
it's called 'tenting'. It is done by linking 2 cake boxes together. It gives you an increased height ...
without getting into the formulae of triangles... an example.. if you used two 10 X 10 X 3 boxes, the new height will be approx 11.5 inches; and you can seal the top of the combined box (cake is completely covered).. this was one of the best tips ever. I use it all the time with stacked cakes & cakes with stand up chocolate transfers.

ciao

tiptop57 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:59pm
post #18 of 40

Fascination

I need to see a visual to understand......

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #19 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawns_Goodies

How about Uline. These are shipping boxes but I use them all the time.
I also stamp them and use my scrapbooking stuff to decorate them!

http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_402.asp?desc=Cube+Boxes

I decorate them too, then add my business card to one corner, and cover with contact paper. i make a point to let the customers know I would like the box and cake boards back and that it saves them money since i don't have to keep reordering and padding their bill to cover the cost of new. If frosting gets all over, the contact paper is easy to wipe off.

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:51pm
post #20 of 40
tiptop57 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:30pm
post #21 of 40

Great resource tincanbaby! Have put them in my file. But unfortunately for me for a majority of my creations they are still not tall enough and the top flap is going to keep bumping my piece. Bummer icon_cry.gif

AmyKay Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:40pm
post #22 of 40

Fascination, I'd love to see a picture of the 'tenting' technique as well!! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions icon_smile.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:12pm
post #23 of 40

I'd be curious to find out what tenting is too! currently, I take two boxes of the same size, cut the lids off. Cut two slits in each side and put them together, easing the top box into the slits and inside the bottom box. The slits will keep the top box from falling into the cake. attach a small bit of tape.

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:28pm
post #24 of 40

You are at > Cake Packaging > Cake Boxes

28'' X 18'' X 5'' (Full Sheet) 2-PC Cake Box 25 CT View Add
On Line Price $31.75

6'' X 6'' X 2.5'' Cookie Box View Add
On Line Price $0.30

6'' X 6'' X 2.5'' Cookie Box 250 CT View Add
On Line Price $42.50

7'' X 7'' X 3'' Cookie Box View Add
On Line Price $0.30

7'' X 7'' X 3'' Cookie Box 250 CT View Add
On Line Price $52.50

8'' X 8'' X 5'' Cake Box View Add
On Line Price $0.55

8'' X 8'' X 5'' Cake Box 250 CT View Add
On Line Price $87.50

9'' X 9'' X 4'' Cake Box View Add
On Line Price $0.60

9'' X 9'' X 4'' Cake Box 250 CT View Add
On Line Price $48.00

Wedding Cake Box 18'' X 18'' X 16'' View Add
On Line Price $3.99

Fascination Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 9:36pm
post #25 of 40

hello tiptop57 and AmyKay,

I will put one together & take a picture for you.
Will try to post tomorrow.
After you see it, if you need more, I will setup a step by step for you.

ciao for now

tiptop57 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #26 of 40

tincanbaby wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

You are at > Cake Packaging > Cake Boxes
....Wedding Cake Box 18'' X 18'' X 16'' View Add
On Line Price $3.99

Yeppers, I did see this box and wasn't trying to be rude or anything.....but according to the shop it is too large to ship and available only in store and I am not in Georgia. icon_cry.gif Besides it is a plain corrugated box.......and I was really hoping for a pretty white box.

Most of my cakes are taller than 6". Thanks for trying, they have good prices. I quess I will let the flap bounce off the top until I see Fascination's thingamajig. icon_smile.gif

Fascination Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 9:09pm
post #27 of 40

Hello again,

As I was assembling the tent I thought that this might make a good article for our how-to section. I took 7 photos during the process, so I might just put the whole step-by-step process in there for everyone to see.
In the mean time, I will post the finished tent here as promised.

I learned of this process during a demonstration by Geraldine from Creative Cutters (Toronto). It is one of the best tips I have ever received.

For the purposes of this demo, I used a small 6X6X2.5 inch box. The final 'tent' is 8 inches high.

I just love to make one of these when I have chocolate transfers standing on top of my cakes;
I hope you can all make use of this too.

ciao
p.s.. this is not meant to be packing for shippping, but it does cover your whole cake, which is great if you have to store it for a day or so, or, as often is the case, if it is raining when you have to deliver the cake.
LL

AmyKay Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #28 of 40

Fascination, thanks so much! The picture really helps!!

tiptop57 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #29 of 40

Fascination - this is fantastic! Thank you so much!!!!

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 29 Nov 2006 , 4:01am
post #30 of 40

Fascination, I discovered this technique when I did my first all buttercream wedding cake. I wanted to get those big shipping boxes but the courrier stores where closed on Saturdays ( yes, I know it was very last minute before I realized I needed a box icon_lol.gif ) I only had regular cake boxes available and DH suggested that we do the tenting. The cake sizes were 6",10",14" rounds and about 4 1/2 " high on a 16"board. It fit perfectly in a 16" cake box. I also like the fact that it looks more professional this way, for me it looks more "cleaner". The only thing was it didn't fit in the car trunk. Those were the times I wished I had a van.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%