First Time Cake Dummie Prep

Decorating By trulyscrumptious Updated 20 Sep 2007 , 10:56pm by Lenore

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 13

Hi ya'll! I'm working on my OSSAS entry and one of my cakes is going to be on a dummie. The thing is I've never used one before and don't know how I should be preping it. Do I need to cover it with something? Sand the edges? When I'm done with it can I scrape off the fondant and use it again for something else? Any other things I need to be aware of when using one?
Thanks!
~Truly

12 replies
trulyscrumptious Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 13

Bump icon_cry.gif

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 13

Bump again . . . . I need answers to this too!!!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 13

I coat my dummie with piping gel. I have never reused a dummy as they are cheap to buy. I have twenty plus cakes still assembled in my work room.

sweetteacher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetteacher Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 8:31pm
post #5 of 13

Truly,there is probably a line running up and down on one side of your dummy where the cut started and stopped. This needs to be sanded off or trimmed very carefully with an exacto knife. Soften the upper edge of your dummy so it doesn't cut your fondant. Basically, push down on the edge with your thumb or run over it with a rolling pin. If there are any holes in the styrofoam fill them with some moistened fondant. Some people say to use royal icing but your probably using fondant to cover it anyway. I don't coat my dummies with anything. I just brush a very little bit of water along the bottom edge to make it stick but that is done after the fondant is trimmed. I make my fondant from scratch and for shows I don't put any flavoring in it although I sometimes use brown vanilla extract if I want it a little ivory in color. -- Carol

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:32am
post #6 of 13

This is a great topic.

Since I decorate a lot of cupcakes I purchased some dummie ones. What is the best thing to decorate them with?

Thanks!
Melissa

trulyscrumptious Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the great answers sweetteacher! You're a lifesaver! thumbs_up.gif

And for future reference I'd love to know about the cupcake dummies! I've never seen them before. How would you get a cupcake wrapper on- royal icing? icon_confused.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 13

I used to use just water and soon realized that the foam would absorb it. I use the white beaded stand in cakes. I coat it with piping gel I let it dry. This will smooth out the imperfections in the foam. When I apply the fondant I us another thin layer of piping gel. I learned this from the heavy hitters at OSSAS. The piping gel allows for a bit of movement mimicing icing.

mlrich25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrich25 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:24am
post #9 of 13

Where is the best place to buy 'dummy' cakes?

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:33am
post #10 of 13

If you wanted to do a "fake" buttercream, what would you use??

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:13am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrich25

Where is the best place to buy 'dummy' cakes?

http://www.dallas-foam.com/store/... absolutely the best place online to buy your dummies.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:25am
post #12 of 13

You could use perma-ice but it's a bit expensive. Last forever.

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 20 Sep 2007 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 13

I just bought some dummies myself for the first time. Could you use royal icing to mimic bc? If so, are there any tricks that I need to be aware of? I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%