Pitiful Story Of Wedding 50 Years Ago

Decorating By LisaMaeCakes Updated 1 Dec 2006 , 1:41am by superstar

LisaMaeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMaeCakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 70

A really sweet lady at church asked me to do a 50th anniversary cake for a reception for her MIL & FIL. She said that just a sheet cake will be fine. Just needs to feed 150 people. In the course of our conversation, she told me that this couple had no money when they got married because they put all their funds into building a little home to move into. At the last minute before their wedding, someone just couldn't bear the thought that they didn't have a cake so they went to a bakery and the only thing available was a birthday cake. They scraped off the Happy Birthday and carried it to the wedding. That broke my heart so I decided to make the cake they never had. They were so surprised. It was worth every minute I put into it when they stood there with tears in their eyes!

Lisa[/i]
LL

69 replies
mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:41am
post #2 of 70

That was so sweet of you! Beautiful cake!

Mirjana

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:44am
post #3 of 70

What a wonderful story and a beautiful cake. You should feel very proud of that cake. Their appreciation would mean more then any price you could have charged. You're tops in my book! thumbs_up.gif

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:45am
post #4 of 70

What goes around comes around and you will be rewarded for such a wonderful act of kindness. The cake is beautiful. Are the sides stamped or piped. It is hard to tell. Thanks for doing such a beautiful thing for a deserving couple.

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:46am
post #5 of 70

That was sooo nice of you! That story brought a little tear to my eye. Love your cake!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:47am
post #6 of 70

That is a beautiful cake absolutely lovely of you do do that for them...I know you gave them something that they will never forget...amazing cake...amazing gift..
thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:49am
post #7 of 70

What a beautiful story and a beautiful cake!!!! Thank you for sharing!

LisaMaeCakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:55am
post #8 of 70

Thanks to you all for your compliments. Alamo Sweets, they were piped on with a #3 tip. A lady at the local cake decorating store gave me some tips on how to make neat scroll work so I dove in!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:57am
post #9 of 70

{{{{{{{{{{LisaMae}}}}}}}}}}

A big and well-deserved hug!! I did the same for my Grandparents, but you had no vested interest in this couple and did it anyway... you are a shining example of what can happen when you let kindness lead the way! Not to mention that the cake is stunning!! Way to go!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:59am
post #10 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMae

Thanks to you all for your compliments. Alamo Sweets, they were piped on with a #3 tip. A lady at the local cake decorating store gave me some tips on how to make neat scroll work so I dove in!

Would you mind sharing your tip?

jespooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jespooky Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:00am
post #11 of 70

That cake is SO beautiful!! You are a wonderful person for doing that for them and i'm sure they'll never forget the cake, or you! thumbs_up.gif

LisaMaeCakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:09am
post #12 of 70

I'll be glad to share the tip. Maybe you all know this already, but was a lightening bolt to me!! She said to cut a strip of light cardboard (such as a file folder) and roll one end half way around the handle of a wooden spoon. Turn around and roll the other end the opposite way. Lightly pull it apart. Press lightly into icing to form a light outline and just pipe over it. You can form all kinds of curly q's and such. How awesome and how frugal Huh??

Lisa

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:16am
post #13 of 70

Your story is sad and happy at the same time! It brought a tear or two to my eyes also!
I love the kindness on this site icon_smile.gif

HoosierMomOf5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HoosierMomOf5 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:20am
post #14 of 70

Wow. What a sweet and thoughtful thing to do. That cake is amazing and I'm sure they will carry that memory with them always. Beautiful.

BearLuvsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BearLuvsCakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:23am
post #15 of 70

Wow, what a sweet story. You are a wonderful person for doing that for them and the cake is GORGEOUS. I'm sure this will be a wonderful memory for them for the cake they never had. Well done!

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:24am
post #16 of 70

LisaMae, the world would be a better place if there were more random acts of kindness like yours! I'm sure they (and their family) will never forget your kindness and generosity!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:59am
post #17 of 70

Your cake is so beautiful as is the story. That is really incredible! I know this is something they will remember always. Bravo to you!

sondrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sondrad Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:00am
post #18 of 70

It's nice to know that there are wonderful people out there like you. What an amazingly gorgeous cake! You must have made their day!!!!!

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:02am
post #19 of 70

The cake matches the story. What I mean is... I was touched by the couple & their determination to start out with nothing & here they are 50 years later. Your determination to give them what they didn't have. Ok, I just thought I was emotional before reading this. Who is hiding my puffs?

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:05am
post #20 of 70

What a heartwarming story! Kudos to you.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:05am
post #21 of 70

Your cake is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!.. Your HEART is more so!! How wonderful of you to give this couple such a gift. I know your generosity will come back to you in many ways.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:13am
post #22 of 70

You just made my day with this story.

icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:14am
post #23 of 70

It takes a kind and generous heart to do that for someone you didn't even know. That kindness will come back to you many fold. The cake is beautiful.....it's like it knows that it is something VERY special.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:19am
post #24 of 70

What a kind heart you have. The cake is beautiful. A real gift of love.

treys_girl04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treys_girl04 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:20am
post #25 of 70

aww..that gave me a little goosebumps..so very sweet of you, and what an amazing cake!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:20am
post #26 of 70

the cake is as beautiful as you are as a person for making it so special for them.

SugarFairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFairy Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:21am
post #27 of 70

What a wonderful thing to do . It made me cry. The cake is beautiful !

SugarFairy

mommacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommacakes Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:23am
post #28 of 70

WOW!!!! Goosebumps up and down reading your story! You are so kind and your cake is more than gorgeous! God Bless you and your family for your act of kindness! I am so glad that there are people like you in this big cruel world of ours and you shed some light in the goodness of people!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:30am
post #29 of 70

Hello

Such a touching story; & you have a big heart.
doesn't it feel great to make a difference!
The cake is stunning & thank you for sharing the tip too.

ciao

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:31am
post #30 of 70

Beautiful story, beautiful cake, beautiful baker!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%