What Is Your Absolute Best Choc. Cake???

Decorating By peacockplace Updated 17 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm by KKC

SpiceTup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpiceTup Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:26pm
post #31 of 35

I've also started searching for a great chocolate cake recipe. My winner so far is from The Cake Bible:

CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE
3/4 c. + 3 T. unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa (lightly spooned into a cup) OR 1 c. nonalkalized cocoa such as Hershey's
1 1/2 c. boiling water
3 large eggs (measures scant 5 fluid ounces)
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. sifted cake flour
2 c. light brown sugar (firmly packed)
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. unsalted butter (softened)

Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk together cocoa & boiling water until smooth; cool to room temp.

Combine eggs, 1/4 of cocoa mixture, vanilla.

In large mixing bowl combine remaining dry ingredients; mix on low for 30 sec. Add butter & remaining cocoa mixture. Mix on low until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase to med. speed and beat for 1 1/2 min. to aerate & develop cake's structure. Scrape down sides. Gradually add egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition to incorporate the ingredients & strengthen the structure. Scrape down the sides.

Scrape batter into 2 greased/floured 9" pans & smooth surface. Bake 20 - 30 min or until tester comes out clean. The cakes should start to shrink from the sides of the pans only after removal from over. Cool pans on racks for 10 minutes, then remove. (I personally use cocoa powder to "flour" my chocolate cake pans)

Hope you like this one as much as we do!! It was great with her Kahlua Neoclassic Buttercream....

SpiceTup

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:48pm
post #32 of 35

Thanks Eve. I've been wanting to get this book. It's unbelievable, isn't it?

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 2:37am
post #33 of 35

I know this is old, but I just wanted to bring it back up because I think there are some great recipes here!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 6:13am
post #34 of 35

You're right this is SUPER OLD!! But now that you've brought it up, I'll add one, since I've posted it in other "best chocolate cake" threads here on CC. I have never, ever in my life, anywhere, whether from my own kitchen or a bakery, eaten a better chocolate cake than the Scott Clark Woolley "fudge brownie" cake as doctored up by the chefs at egullet.com. Here's a link to the thread with the recipe http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-52587-30.html, it's at the top of p3.

I've compared it to quite a few including the Hershey's box cake, the Epicurious Double Chocolate cake which is a huge crowd pleaser, and the One Delicious Chocolate Cake. None has come close to it with regard to complete and utter chocolatey-ness (huh, is that a word?) Of course everyone is different and for some a light, fluffy chocolate cake is preferable. But every time I bite into this moist, dense chocolate dream-come-true, I want to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I made it last month for a thank you lunch for the teachers at my daughter's school, and I told the restaurant: if nobody else takes the cake leftovers home, call me and I'll come get it. And dagnab it, I DID!! icon_lol.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 17 Jun 2008 , 4:28pm
post #35 of 35

I have one thats not a fudgy choc cake but it sorta tastes like a German Choc cake.

I use...

1 box of yellow cake mix (prepared as directed)
1 bag of semi-sweet choc chips, melted
1 tsp vanilla.

I stir the melted choc & vanilla into the mix (you'll get a light chocolate color) and bake.

For filling, I make a milk choc ganache. I get rave reviews every single time i make it and no one ever thinks its from a box. Its extremely moist and delicious. Try it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%