Has Anyone Ever Done A Bct Sunset-Need Help Asap!

Decorating By fytar Updated 28 Jul 2005 , 6:11pm by fytar

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 18

Well, I have been working on a boat sailing off into the sunset and I can't get a good sunset. Anyone have any pics or ideas that I could look at? I really messed up my first BCT lastnight - of course, I didn't prepare very well. I'm going to try it again tonight. It's going to be on chocolate so I guess it has to have a background fill-in of white or pale blue, right, to get it to stand out from the chocolate? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Tarina

17 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 18

Oh my, jscakes sent us all a picture of a sunset she captured on film. It was amazing! I bet you could print it out and do a BCT.. It looks soooo beautiful! GOOD LUCK
Here is the link to the forum
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-4986.html

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 18

Here is a google search for 10 pages worth of artwork sunsets. They might work well as a transfer.
http://images.google.com/images?q=sunset+art&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&start=0&sa=N

fytar Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 18

thanks brians baker and gotcake! as far as the sunset that jscakes sent, wellllll, i won't even attempt that! that is too beautiful to even try to recreate with frosting!!

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 18

fytar, don't ever say " i won't even attempt that ".
You can do it! I thought I couldn't do MMF and I mastered it just the other day!! Woohoo I was so excited! LOL
Just follow the directions for a BCT add the colors and when you get it out of the freezer just blend the colors together with a wet paint brush.. It works wonders for blending.. Also someone told me that to smooth out BCT's put some baking soda on your finger and tap on the transfer.
Do a sample one and see what happens.. GOOD LUCK!

fytar Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 18

looking at other bct pics in the gallery it appears the outlines are a lot thicker than what i used lastnight so i'm wondering if i'm going to lose my outlines when i try to pull the paper off. the detail was too small on my picture as well so i enlarged it today and printed off another copy. you're right about attempting to do new things...i usually find that once i give something a try it works out a lot easier than i thought. i am still trying to figure out how to do my colors so that added to my frustration lastnight. thanks for the encouragement. i have several cakes i'm doing for this weekend. this is one of them. i'll post the pics of all of them on monday of next week. tarina

gdixoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gdixoncakes Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 18

I have done a sunset on a cake before. It was a sheet cake with a motorcycle riding off into the sunset. I made the street and grass on top of the sheet cake and then I attached a large square sugar cookie (with buttercream) at the foot of the cake which represented the sunset. On the cookie, I had taken pink, yellow, orange and purple royal icing and swirled them together but not to much. I let the icing dry on the cooking before attaching. I wish I had a picture but I have been bad about taking them up 'til now. Good luck. Would love to see a picture of the final if you get a chance.

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 18

OK, i found a cake with a sunset, it may not be what you are looking for but I hope it helps
take a look at this web site, great cakes
LL

gotcake Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 18

Yes that one from Jacques pastries http://www.jacquespastries.com/alloccasion83.htm is another beauty as is all the other cakes on that site.....

sheilaattaway Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 18

Thanks for listing it, lol I guess I forgot to put the link in there

gotcake Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 11:17pm
post #11 of 18

No problem it's a link worth the time to look (gawk) at beautiful cakes LOL

fytar Posted 27 Jul 2005 , 4:10pm
post #12 of 18

I did a second bct lastnight. It turned out 100 times better than the first one! My sunset was colored blue, orange, pale yellow and golden yellow. I just made the sun in the sky with the orange and then ran various colored horizontal lines out from either side of the sun in random order. The boat turned out so much better than the first try the night before. I'll finish up the cake tonight because the guy wants to pick it up tomorrow night for friday. I'll post the picture tomorrow. I have no idea how to put this on the cake without it just looking like a thick plaque stuck on top. I guess I will do some type of border around it with the message above and below the picture. Wish me luck!!

fytar Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 12:58pm
post #13 of 18

Well, here it is! I posted it in my gallery but wanted to make sure you guys that gave me advice got to see it. Overall, I guess it's okay. Kinda way too big. Oh, btw, how much would you guys charge for this? I kinda made it big, but as it stands right now, I only charged $35 for it. Do you think that is too much or too little? (This is still trial and error pricing here!) This cake is two 9X13 layers side by side. They only have 30 people to feed, but I can't get anybody to give the same answer twice when it comes to how many servings are in a sheet cake. Earlene's website has everything EXCEPT sheet cakes listed (aren't these considered "party cakes" when you look at most serving charts?)!! And I've heard that Wilton's servings are not quite "real people" portions. I didn't know if the servings were different between the 9X13 Decorator Preferred and the 9X13 Performance pans. Decorator Preferred pans do not have the amount of servings on the insert like the Performance pans have. Anyway, here is the pic of my BCT. Thanks for all of you that gave me advice on the sunset!

fytar Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 1:02pm
post #14 of 18

well, here is the pic - I hope!!
LL

sheilaattaway Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 3:39pm
post #15 of 18

Your cakes look great. I always charge 30 for sheet and add for personal work, the BCT I would add 10 for. So I would probley change 40 dollars. Thats only 5 more but ,hey that could be more powdered sugar, I always go through a lot of that lol.

fytar Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:18pm
post #16 of 18

i got another question for you all! what are your steps for putting your cakes on their cake boards after they have cooled in the pan? i had the hardest time lastnight and wouldn't have been able to do it without my dh. i got the first 13X9 layer on the board by just laying the board on top of the pan and flipping it over and pulling the pan off. when it came time to get the other layer out of the pan, i was at a loss. i needed them side by side without a gap in the middle and this not only couldn't be accomplished by turning it out onto the board because once it was on there, it was pretty much where it was going to stay for fear of breaking it, but also because there was already a layer on the board and i couldn't just turn that upside down and flip it over like i did the first layer. i almost broke the second layer in half but my dh ran over and grabbed the board. he held it at an angle (steep angle but not enough for the other layer to slide off) and i just kinda plopped it on there right up against the other layer! isn't there an easier way to do this?

also, nobody has replied about their serving amounts they would go by for 13X9 pans - i just don't need wilton's or earlene's measurement again. sorry if that sounded like it was coming from an irritated person - well, i guess i am a little - SORRY icon_redface.gif

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 18

I considered "party pieces 2inch by 2 inch (4 squared inches of cake). A 9x13 would have 29 servings. It would have 24 square, and then along the side and bottom there would be four 1x4 pieces. and then it would leave one 1 inch square that I can't figure out what to do with. attached is a quick drawup I did to help figure it out. Note: it is not to scale at ALL!!!! icon_lol.gif
LL

fytar Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 6:11pm
post #18 of 18

thanks gina! i'll use the 2X2 measurement for each of my sheet pans when i get the chance and maybe mark them on the bottom of the pan! thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%