Looking For The Perfect Pink For Roses

Decorating By soozun Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm by soozun

soozun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozun Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 6

I thought I was going to get this really beautiful rose shade if I bought Wilton "rose" icing color. But it turned this sickly looking pink. (I used the class buttercream which is pure white icing). I want a pretty dusty rose color. Not mauve, I think. But when you think "rose", what do you picture? I want that color! Can I mix Wilton colors to come up with something more delicate and less eye-burning?

I'm guessing the answer is "americolor"! Can I buy that at a local cake supply shop, or must I use the internet? I just looked at the color chart and they do have a dusty rose and a soft pink. Anyone have a preferred color for making delicately pink piped roses?

5 replies
Les Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Les Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 6

I'd like to try Americolor too. But I think that the trick to pretty pink, is to start with a little and add more if you need it. Hope that helps a little.

CakesOnly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesOnly Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 6

I agree with Les, just add a little at a time, but be careful. As it sits sometimes the color gets darker.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 6

Have you tried using just a tiny bit of burgundy instead of pink? That's my favorite way to get a nice pink.

Deanna

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 6

I think Wilton also does a colour called rose petal pink or petal pink - something like that. It is a dusky pink and very pretty.

I agree with the other posters, just add small amounts of paste and you'll achieve a more subtle colour. Adding a tiny touch of black can help tone down really bright colours - not too much though!

Regards,
Cris.

soozun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozun Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone! I am going to try all your suggestions. I think they will work, because for some reason I hadn't tried any of those approaches yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%