Clay Extruder . . . Arrrrgggg

Decorating By UGoCakes Updated 16 Mar 2008 , 11:04am by annethered

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 20

I saw several cakes decorated with a clay gun and then a few threads about it. So I had to try it. I bought one from Jo-Ann, and thought how hard could that be? But I was brutely rebuffed!! icon_cry.gif

I thought all you had to do was put the fondant in and push but it was NOT that easy. Once I put it in I could not push it out, at all. It stuck to the sides on the inside and did not budge. So I forced it out with a knife and used powered sugar to coat the insides, still not a budge.

How in the world do you use that thing? Please help! I love that look.

19 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 20

You have to knead in a good bit of veg shortening into the fondant before you put the fondant into the gun. then it comes out easy!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 20

Oooo... I really, really want to see the answer to this- I was going to buy an extruder, too. Didn't realize there was a trick, but now that you mention it, I can see how it would get sticky. So, here's a bump!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 20

I use a 50/50 mix of sugarpaste and modelling paste (fondant and gumpaste).

I also grease the inside of the tube by putting my finger in Trex (Crisco?) and then rubbing it in the tube.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne x

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 20

IF I USED WILTON (UGH!) IT IT TOO DRY AND I WOULD ZAP IT A FEW SECONDS IN THE MICRO.....OK BUT EXTRA WORK....THE SATIN ICE SEEMS TO GO THRU MUCH EASIER...

I NEVER THOUGHT TO GREASE THE INSIDE OF THE TUBE....MAKES SENSE.
THANKS.........

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 20

I usually just soften my fondant in the microwave for a few seconds and add in some crisco and it extrudes nicely.

cakedreamer13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreamer13 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 20

I'm about to use my clay extruder for the first time tomorrow.

Thanks leahs and Relznik for your advice.

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:23pm
post #8 of 20

ah, veg. shortening, now that makes sense. thanks

Now my question is - Will the pieces take longer to dry with the added shortening?

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:11am
post #9 of 20

Yeah, those metal extruders are brutal!! Heating it up for a few seconds in the micro really works. I grease the sides too.

Then, when you get hooked on extruding you'll probably want to upgrade to the green twist handle makins one or the sugarcraft gun.

Courtney

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 6:00am
post #10 of 20

Yep, like everybody said, the fondant/gumpaste has to be much softer than you would normally use it to be pushed through easily ( really,really soft ) & greasing the inside of the clay gun with shortening helps too.
It might take a little bit longer to dry,I haven't really noticed icon_biggrin.gif

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 20

Ok, I'm now wanting to buy one of these things. icon_biggrin.gif Where can I buy and how much do they cost?

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 5:22am
post #12 of 20

I bought one from Michaels. It's in the section where the modeling clays are. I didn't buy the cheapest one but it was around $15 to $20 and was green metal with a twist handle. It comes with a bunch of dies to place at the bottom of the tube. I just washed it up good and put MMF in it with no gumpaste and made a tassle with a die that had several holes in it. I placed it on a cake I made for my MIL. She was impressed and so was I. I had to extrude several lengths to make a decent sized tassle. It was pretty easy and adding more shortening to it made it come out nicely. I didn't have to grease the inside of the gun; I guess the MMF had enough grease in it. You'll love using it!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 5:39am
post #13 of 20

I love my sugarcraft gun but sometimes I would like something that has a larger capacity and produces larger pieces.... What else is there out there? I broke my daughter's play clay extruder.....

Marina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marina Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 5:46am
post #14 of 20

I've seen Duff use one of those big honkers (extruder)...he was making that scottish cow that had LOTS of hair. I have a small one, but could it be harder to use one of those big ones??? I'll just have to find out! icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 2:31am
post #15 of 20

I posted this a few days ago regarding extruders. The cheap plunger ones that you push the fondant through are really worthless. The metal twist handle one I mention is fantastic--no need to add tons of crisco and you get nice long extrusions.

I have the black & red Sugarcraft gun (expensive=$35+) and I really hate it. Besides needing to soften the fondant with crisco, I also don't feel that the length of a rope you get out of it is really worth all the effort.

I bought the Makins shiny green metal clay extruder from Michael's using a coupon (<$20) and I love it. The barrel is long, so the ropes you get can be 18 inches+, depending the diameter of the hole in the disk you choose. It's easy to clean, and you don't have to add as much crisco to the fondant because of the twist turn handle (also no pressure on your hand this way). It comes with lots of disks and you can buy an additional set with another 10 disks for about $6 with another coupon.

http://www.theclaystore.com/pa.....57fa6fdc0f

HTH
Rae

Jopalis Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:09am
post #16 of 20

Oh thank you Rae!!! I will go see if I can get it with my next coupon.... It will be nice to be able to make larger and longer pieces......

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 20

BLAKECAKES,
So glad you commented on the clay extruder you got @ Micheal's (Makin's professional ultimate clay extruder)! I actually just got one yesterday & haven't tried it yet. You say you can make up to 18in ropes? Mine has a barrel that is about 5 & 1/2 in long. How can you make ropes longer than the barrel?
Thx!

Jopalis Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 20

Are you talking about the chamber that holds the dough/gumpaste? I might be misinterpreting your question but the size of the design disk opening plus the capacity of the chamber will determine how much/how long your product is.... You just keep pushing til it's empty.... Sorry if I got your question wrong....

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 10:03pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopalis

Are you talking about the chamber that holds the dough/gumpaste? I might be misinterpreting your question but the size of the design disk opening plus the capacity of the chamber will determine how much/how long your product is.... You just keep pushing til it's empty.... Sorry if I got your question wrong....

Yes, I'm talking about the chamber that holds the dough. I guess I had a "blonde" moment b/c what you said makes sense.
Thanks!

annethered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annethered Posted 16 Mar 2008 , 11:04am
post #20 of 20

Ok I worked some Crisco into my fondant (to which I had added some gum tragacanth to make it harden properly as usual) - it pushed out of the gun nicely but now it won't set icon_sad.gif
Help please...?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%