Fondant - How Easy To Work With?

Decorating By irish_mama Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 4:45pm by irish_mama

irish_mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish_mama Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:39am
post #1 of 6

I've been decorating cakes for 16 years now (since I was 13) but I've always worked with BC frosting. I've wanted to try fondant but I've been nervous to, wondering how difficult it is to work with.

Any tips or pointers?

5 replies
allissweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allissweets Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:46am
post #2 of 6

When I started decorating cakes about a year ago, I wanted to dive into fondant creations. Then I tasted the pre-made Wilton fondant and it was so gross! I tried adding flavoring but it never helped. Then I tried their fondant recipe (found in any Wilton yearbook), modified the flavors to my taste, and found that it tasted pretty good and I got better at it over time. I'd recommend you start out with a small pack of Wilton fondant (you can find it at Wal-Mart) and play with it.

Then check out the posts here for marshmallow fondant and try that. I'm sold - I absolutely love it. It's cheap to make, easy to work with, and tastes good! I don't make too many cakes with it however - there isn't a big demand for it among the family and friends that I make cakes for. But I love the look of fondant. Have fun, and good luck! icon_smile.gif

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:47am
post #3 of 6

Think modeling clay! It's fun to work with and not to difficult. (hey my kids can do it lol) You just need to dive in and do some experimenting. There are also lots of helpfull tutorials and threads on how to work with it. You can learn anything on CC! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:51am
post #4 of 6

if you can do buttercream you can do fondant for sure !!! i love fondant -just wish i could be up to snuff with BC

go for it it really is a fun medium !!

suziew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suziew Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6

I just used fondant for the first time yesterday. It is a lot easier to work with than my gluten free pie crust. I was amazed how easy it rolled out. I was making maple leaves. I'm going to bake Wilton's little gobbler. I need the maple leaves for tail feathers.

irish_mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irish_mama Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all so much! I'll grab some and play with it and see what I think.

I think I'm more concerned about taste! My family LOVES my BC frosting they'll be so sad if they don't have it LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%