Chocolate Cake With Lemon Filling

Decorating By cocakedecorator Updated 26 Jul 2005 , 5:54am by Rainbow_Moon

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

Ok I had a co-worker request that I make a cake for her. She wants a chocolate cake w/ lemon filling and chocolate buttercream icing. This combination sounds awful to me thumbsdown.gif , but to each is own I guess icon_rolleyes.gif . Does anyone have any suggestions for a lemon filling to use? Thanks in advance.

5 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 2:15am
post #2 of 6

I had a similar request some time ago.. vanilla cake, lemon filling and chocolate frosting. Didn't sound like a great combination to me, but I try to please. I used the same filling you would use for lemon meringue pie. My customer loved it.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 2:51am
post #3 of 6

I agree, a pie filling type of lemon filling like a lemon curd or the recipe from the Wilton site recipe box, something like that. Martha Stewart's site usually has a few different lemon curd recipes. Some can be made up ahead and frozen before use. Lemon curds can be kept at room temperature whereas the Jello Lemon Pie Filling types must be refridgerated or they separate.
It really does taste quite good - this combination!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 4:11am
post #4 of 6

thanks so much for the ideas and suggestions. I will look at the recipes. I think I am going to make a small cake in addition just so I can taste it as it sounds like such a weird combination. icon_smile.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 4:14am
post #5 of 6

Heehee, well it may be a bit of an acquired taste, but for some folks, anything goes well with chocolate, haha! Guess I am one of them!

Rainbow_Moon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainbow_Moon Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 5:54am
post #6 of 6

i wish i read this post a week ago - i made a devil's food choc mix with lemon pudding for filling and lemon frosting...this was for my 2nd class in wilton I - the rainbow cake. well i did not get to finish it monday but left it out of the fridge but in my cake keeper. i took and put it in the fridge friday night and noticed it 'leaked' around the bottom some kind of gel-looking stuff. I didn't have time to do anything with it till sunday, and said, oh well let's just eat it, i don't want to decorate it anymore. it was so weird tasting!!! the lemon must have gone bad or something in the icing. it had a bitter taste and i had to throw away the whole cake! i was pretty bummed out. needless to say i will refridgerate next time. i guess maybe this could go under cake disasters...thank goodness it was just for practice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%