3D Christmas Cookies

Baking By mamacc Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 1:48am by pinklesley1

mamacc Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 4

I was just wondering, is anyone making 3D holiday cookies? I was looking at the ones on William sonoma or the ones on sugarcraft. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/8281958/index.cfm?pkey=xsrd0m1%7C15%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7C%7Choliday%20storybook%20cookie%20cutters&cm%5Fsrc=sch

How long would they hold up as a centerpeice?? Would wrapping in cellphane help to keep them fresh? Also, what would you charge for a scene with a sleigh, reindeer and trees? ...and what about a price for just one 3D cookie?

Sorry for all the questions! Can you tell I've never sold christmas cookies before? I usually do cakes...

Thank you!!

3 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 4

Be forewarned that these cookies can be a pain to decorate! Everybody who sees them loves them, so they have that WOW factor going for them. They should stay fresh for about a week, or however long your usual sugar cookie recipe keeps. I don't see why you couldn't wrap them in plastic to lenghten the freshness. Pricing is a problem for me, because I don't do a ton of cookies. These are labor intensive cookies (for me), and I'm not sure I could get what I think they're worth!

mundy33 Posted 26 Nov 2006 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

I just made several dozen of the 3D cookies for WS ( I work there, and i baked them for the stores in the area )
The cutters are labor-intensive. They have to be rolled at the exact same thickness, in order to fit together, and they have to be baked just long enough so that they are not too soft, but not too crunchy or they break easily.
Also, the icing cannot be in the inter-locking area, or they will not fit together.
However, when they are finally finished and assembled, they are fabulous!
I would charge a maximum for them, due to the labor involved, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would pay for them!
I made mine a week ago, and the leftovers are still fresh, and looking pretty. I'd suggest storing them in plastic wrap if youre making them ahead of time. Keep them on a cakeboard, or other firm surface to assure that they dont break in half if jostled.
Good luck!

pinklesley1 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:48am
post #4 of 4

i was wondering because i just ordered these too.. and i charged $40 for them... and i am wondering if i charged too much... it is a sleigh with 2 reindeers... any idea if i charged too much?

mundy... what recipie did you use? can you share?

Quote by @%username% on %date%