Fondant Vs Gumpaste

Decorating By KhymStacy Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 9:08pm by mydelights

KhymStacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KhymStacy Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 9

This maybe a dumb question but... why do some people use gumpaste instead of fondant for making flowers and such????

8 replies
torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 9

gumpaste has more elasticity so can be rolled really thin if needed and it has a much faster drying time!!!

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

KhymStacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KhymStacy Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you Trudi!!!

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you! I had the same question!!

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 9

yeah, but you can eat the fondant decorations, gumpaste decos need picked off due to no one wanting to bite into them. I love to use gumpaste but someone once said...I want to be able to cut into a cake and be able to eat everything....boy was that a bummer...

Larie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larie Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:55am
post #6 of 9

I have seen a lot of cakes say they are made of all fondant and seem to be mostly 3 D. Are they adding something to the fondant that makes it work like gumpaste?

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 9

fondant does harden and you can add tylose into it to make it harden more.. you can also use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste.

some ppl refer to gumpaste/ sugarpaste as fondant...depending where you come from.

my kids love eating gumpaste...!!!! icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gificon_biggrin.gif

Larie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larie Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 9

I am in the states, Kentucky that is. I have tried to use mm fondant for some 3 D figures and they seem fairly heavy.... any advise?

mydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mydelights Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:08pm
post #9 of 9

I too find fondant to be too heavy when making bigger pieces like couch. The results tend to flatten out instead of drying hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%