Cake Victory!

Decorating By edcjenv Updated 25 Jul 2005 , 9:53pm by edcjenv

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all! Just thought you'd enjoy a near - disaster cake story w/ a happy ending icon_smile.gif

Here it goes....

A lady from church (who is a real penny pincher) asked me to make the cake for her grandson's bday. Originally she ordered it a month out and wanted a "nemo" cake....She calls me about a week ahead of time and says she doesn't want a nemo cake she wants a fishing themed cake. Her grandson likes fish - frogs and crabs!

So....I come up w/my 'Gone fishin' cake --- courtesy of a lot of great ideas from different CC people (THANKS!) I finished the cake and was sooo proud of it! But....it was a 2 layer 8" round cake and all I had was a 14" box. I didn't have time to go to the store --- so I taped the bottom of the cake board into the box and off I went.....

I bring it into her house....and as soon as I'm in there, her very energetic grandson starts jumping up and down trying to get the cake....aaahhh! She takes it from me and is holding it by the sides...not the bottom! Meanwhile...he's bouncing all around us! Meanwhile...she keeps saying "oh.....that's a tiny cake" And I told her...it's just in a large box...I promise that cake will feed more than the nemo cake would've. Well she obviously didn't believe me.

Anyway...she said...let's go set this in my room so it doesn't get messed up....we go into her room and she sets it on the waterbed! Her grandson has his hands on the bed and is jumping up and down... I'm ready to take my payment and go! As I'm leaving she just keeps saying "Wow that's a small cake" I was so discouraged.

So....we go out of town for the weekend... I came back last night and called her today....she loved the cake! She told me I should be a pastry chef....Not only did she love the flavors, but also she talked about how cute and detailed it was!

i was so relieved! She also placed another order for Aug 16th! And ......get this.....she told me that she didn't pay enough for the cake and there was more than enough for everyone!

5 replies
mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 6

Way to go!!! Is this the cake with the goldfish looking fish on it. I checked your "photos" area and if it is that one...you did a great job!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 6

Good for you! Doesn't it feel great to get positive feedback like that?

edcjenv Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:21pm
post #4 of 6

yup....that's the one ....thank you!

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 6

Great job! It's so cute! I'm glad she liked it. It's great when the customer wants to pay you more - especially a penny pincher.

edcjenv Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 6

Yes it does peacock! I found this to be a very inspirational situationicon_smile.gif Thanks eryka ---I'm really excited, because she's the type of person that when she likes something....(or dislikes) she tells everyone she knows!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%