Warning! Wal-Mart Cake!!!

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 2:06am by Sandi4tpc

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 56

My cousin decided to NOT order a cake from me and instead went with a classic Wal-Mart cake... look how hideous this thing is! I can't believe they would even sell something that bad... needless to say, she's sorry she didn't get one from me icon_smile.gif
LL

55 replies
kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 56

You are right that is hideous. It looks like their cake decorator was out sick or they just have a really bad cake decorator. Your cousin should send that picture to Wal-Mart corporate office.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 56

that is a shame our Walmart does lovely work and that would never have gone out.

I do think their cakes taste dry but they look nice.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 56

All I can say is...SICK!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 56

icon_confused.gif

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:40pm
post #6 of 56

I didn't know Wal-Mart hired 6 year olds to decorate cakes! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, that is terrible. icon_eek.gif

1gananny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1gananny Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 56

not very appealing to the eyes is it??
Walmart around here does pretty good.
What is the saying "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"
Hope she didn't pay much for it!!!
I am sure she would have rather paid you for a nicer caker. Lesson learned!

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 56

Well I would have never accepted the cake without the store Manager knowing what I thought about the cake before leaving MHO....I hope that she learned her leason.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:51pm
post #9 of 56

icon_eek.gificon_confused.gifthumbsdown.gif
OMG. I'm speechless.

mommabuda Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:54pm
post #10 of 56

haha... I'm glad everyone agrees! She bought it from there because her husband works in the deli and he gets a discount... they would have complained BUT he works with the lady that made the cake so they didn't want to upset her at all. I'm going to carry around a copy of this and show it to people who say "I would rather just buy a cheaper cake from Wal-Mart". It was also for a one year old's birthday. I even offer a free matching smash cake for one year olds... ugh!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 56

And I thought the decorator at our local store was bad. icon_surprised.gif His borders are slightly better than the one in your picture. icon_lol.gif

That looks like something that the average person could come up with on their own, just buy a tube of decorating icing that's next to the cake mix. icon_twisted.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:25pm
post #12 of 56

no way...that can't be a wal-mart cake! was it done by someone who has no skills at all. i bought wal-mart cakes all the time...way back when before i knew how to decorate cakes...and they were decent. that thing looks like a child did it. icon_eek.gif

EatYourCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatYourCake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 56

OMG! icon_eek.gif I am totally stunned! I can't believe they would actually sell that to her.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 56

definitely not the nicest work I have seen, but they probably only paid 14.99 for it.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 56

Wow! icon_eek.gif What's up with that. I did better my first time decorating! Honestly, I've never seen a Walmart cake that wasn't decent before.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:39pm
post #16 of 56

I don't know.......looks like they really wanted to get the feeling of the construction theme....................

....so they used a backhoe or bulldozer to scoop the cake into the serving tin. I'll give them points for originality.

NOT!

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:41pm
post #17 of 56

Wow--what can you say? I hope the parents were embarrassed to serve that at the party. That is one poorly decorated cake.

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:43pm
post #18 of 56

did they drop it??????

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:44pm
post #19 of 56

icon_eek.gif Wow, I have never seen one that bad, I guess she will know next time.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:56pm
post #20 of 56

Are you sure she did not do it herself and just say it came from Walmart ?? I am having a hard time believing this is true.

something is not ringing true here. not sure what

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:59pm
post #21 of 56

Even I can write better than that and I am awful ! Sorry for your cousin =(

meredetrois Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredetrois Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:11pm
post #22 of 56

That is a horrible cake! I ordered from Wal-Mart a few times and the cakes were always very well done - if a tad dry. Yuck!

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:12pm
post #23 of 56

I used to work for Wal-Mart decorating cakes and we Never put out anything like this. And it really does look dropped, whoever said that, that's a good call.

Also when I worked at Wal-Mart, 8 years ago, we did not get discounts on cakes or any food or grocery item, only retail. So I don't think that that is right, that she did it for the discount. It's only 10% regardless.

I'm familiar with this cake kit and it looks dropped. or melted. Maybe they made it with whipped icing and it got left in a hot car.

She better order from you next time and be happy with the family discount plus love that goes into it!

mommabuda Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:28pm
post #24 of 56

It definetely was NOT dropped... I asked this! Not sure on the discount thing... if it didn't even apply to the cake then I'm really mad they didn't get one from me! It was not abnormally warm the day of the party either... I believe maybe 70? Even dropping it wouldn't mess up the handwriting like that. I have seen "okay" cakes for sale there but nothing that wonderful... I'm about to start decorating for a grocery store and my standards will be MUCH higher than this (even if it is for a $14.99 cake). I thought my cousin had tried to make it herself (that's why I asked where she got the cake) and when she replied "Wal-Mart" I almost died!

EatYourCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatYourCake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:36pm
post #25 of 56

Do you think maybe she made it herself and bought the decorations at Wal Mart? Then when it turned out horrible, just blammed it on Wal Mart?

mmo88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmo88 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:37pm
post #26 of 56

Well, guess you know who she is going to ask next time she needs a cake icon_wink.gif

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:39pm
post #27 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

I didn't know Wal-Mart hired 6 year olds to decorate cakes! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, that is terrible. icon_eek.gif

LOL

DanaHuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaHuls Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:44pm
post #28 of 56

I am currently a decorator for wal mart plus I do my own cakes at home. That looks like a square cake not a regular 9x13 sheet cake, I know our wal mart only does the sheet cakes. As for what was mentioned earlier about discounts on food, we don't get any. One of the reasons I chose to start decorating from home is so I can take my time with a cake, these grocery stores are more into quantity rather than quality. I've actually gotten in trouble for putting too much time and detail into my cakes at wal mart. By doing this though I have gained several special customers there that I think wouldn't come back if I was to leave the store.

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:49pm
post #29 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabuda

I thought my cousin had tried to make it herself (that's why I asked where she got the cake) and when she replied "Wal-Mart" I almost died!

maybe that is what happened... maybe she made it herself, bought the decorations at walmart, but then said "walmart". At least that would make sense....

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #30 of 56

Does it say Savior Dave or David or what? I worked for the second busiest Wal-Mart Bakery in the world at the time. We never put out anything this bad, we did have a woman who's writing looked alot like this though.

Needless to say we started doing the writing on her cakes!

I also put alot of time into my cakes and when customers came in they asked for me to do their cakes.

It looked like a quarter sheet to me but I'd have to look at it again to be sure..

I'll go look!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%