How Do I Make A Clean Edge On A Fondant Covred Cake?

Decorating By bmoore Updated 21 Sep 2007 , 11:40am by sunshine5632

bmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoore Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 16

Hi, I've made a few fondant covered cakes and the edges always end up rounded. Can anyone tell me how to get a nice crisp clean edge going from the top of the cake to the sides? Thanks!

15 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 16

Well, how round do you mean? Fondant cakes will always be more rounded than buttercream (if you are doing it in one piece) but they don't have to be extremely rounded. I cover my cakes cold and it helps a lot.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 16

It will never be as crisp as with BC, but the crisper the BC underneath, the crisper the top edge of the fondant.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 16

Welcome to CC bmoore!

A lot of people use an edging type tool that helps also...or two fondant smoothers held together at a 90 degree angle to form the corner.

DesignerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerCakes Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 16

I agree - covering the cake when it's cold definitely helps. I also use Valerie White's Sharp Top Edger. These are specifically made for fondant, but you have to use them carefully since they are made in England and their cakes are heavy, dense fruitcakes that can withstand some pressing along the edges. If used carefully, they can yield successful results.

Also, try running two straight edgers together along the edges - one vertically along the side, and the other horizontally across the top of the cake. Press lightly and push up and out towards the edges. When you touch the two edgers together, they should form an upside down 'L'. This can help, but you have to be careful to maintain a light touch.

Sometimes you'll see sharp edges on a cake and I've learned that 9 times out of 10, they are styrofoam dummies and not real cake.

aine2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aine2 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 16

You won't get really crisp, sharp edges using fondant but maybe this will help you a little. It's how I do my cakes! icon_lol.gif

" rel="nofollow">

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 16

I think all of the above are essential, and also remember to just crumb coat the cake. I had a hard time overcoming the impulse to ice to thick. It really should be a sparse crumb coat. I really like Aine2's video, you will see that her crumb coat is very thin, and I think this solves several fondant problems, you get a sharper edge, and you will not get the icing ooze out from under the fondant bottom I also am on the quest for the sharper edge. Let us know if you achieve success.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

You won't get really crisp, sharp edges using fondant but maybe this will help you a little. It's how I do my cakes! icon_lol.gif

" rel="nofollow">

I just watched your video! You are amazing-- Thank you for sharing your talent and knowledge!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:14am
post #9 of 16

Lorraine, excellent video. Thanks.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #10 of 16

I do a full coat of buttercream, not just a crumb coat. As long as it is cold, it doesn't matter how much is under - it won't smoosh out.

cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 16

omg! indydebi you are absolutely fabulous!!!!! How amazing you are and I've watched your video and WOW. You are sooo kind to share your technics with everyone. I can just brew a pot of joe and hookup w/cake central and there goes the whole morning! And all of the the videos? who needs t.v.? Thank you thank you thank you!

cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:05pm
post #12 of 16

Well -obviously I haven't had enough coffee yet. Either that or it's not strong enough, cuz I just thanked indydebi for aine2's video- but honestly I think you are both fantastic and ever so talented. So anyways sorry about the mixup- I know what it is- it's this stinkin Utah coffee- Ya that's it! I think it's made with some funky beans that are only ground and sold to the Utah market. Ok now I'm done-I think..............yup!

bmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoore Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks so much for your help and comments everyone, I really appreciate it! Aine2 your video was really helpful icon_smile.gif

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 3:31am
post #14 of 16

save

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 12:49am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aine2

" rel="nofollow">

Lorraine, I just watched your videos. Thank you so much for sharing. I am anxious to try the elephant and hands. You make it look so easy. Did someone say you have books? Where can I find them? I appreciate you!

sunshine5632 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunshine5632 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 11:40am
post #16 of 16

You won't get really crisp, sharp edges using fondant but maybe this will help you a little. It's how I do my cakes!

" rel="nofollow">

Thank you so much for posting the video!! I am doing a cake for my son birthday and this will help a lot !!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%