Covering, Moving, Finishing Buttercream Covered Cakes

Decorating By WildWires Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 9:36pm by WildWires

WildWires Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildWires Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 4

Guys,
I see so many cakes on CC that are perfectly smooth, clean crisp bases, sharp details, and pristine decor.

I would like to discuss how different CC pros go about doing this...

From baking the perfect cake, filling the middle avoiding a buldge around the center waist line of the cake, perfectly smooth buttercream, moving it from the turntable, placing it on the perfect mat, doweling supports...and anything else you can give hints on to the perfect showpiece cake.

Here are some of the issues I have.
I just did a cake, two 9" Devil's food, filled with cookies and cream filling. Let the buttercream crust overnight, next morning, buldging waistline around center of the cake. Also, judging the appropirate size base for the appropriate size cake. I put the 9" cake on a 10" base and I have a hard time moving it around and sometimes gash the edges, then have to go back and fix or cover flaws. Also have a hard time smoothing buttercream on larger cakes. I am using the paper towel method along with fondant smoother, parchment paper, and the good ole' finger in cornstartch, still not as smooth as I would like...these are probably just my inexperience talking, but I see so many nice cakes here I think the knowledge exist, just needs to be transported from tacit to the CC website...Thanks to you all... icon_cool.gif

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 4

On the 'ring around the cake' do you use a icing damn with your filling? This does help with that. You can use a tip number 12 or just the coupler to make a icing damn about 1/4th of an inch around the edge of the cake. I have used both medium and stiff icing for this.

This does several things. It will help keep the icing between the layers and it also helps you from putting too much filling in the cakes.

After this, it also helps if you will crumb coat the cake, then let it sit a few hours to settle. That way you can smooth out the buldge, if there is one, before you apply your final coat of icing.

On the board, I always try go atleast 2 inches bigger than my cake size (unless stacking). If you just go an inch bigger you are only leaving yourself only 1/2in around the cake. That isn't alot of room for a border and fingers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 4

HEre is the best advice on damming and non-bulging: http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

To smooth the BC, I first use a benchscraper. Setting the benchscraper flat on the turntable on it's end, with the long side of the blade against the cake, then give the turntable a spin. This also helps insure the cake sides are exactly straight up and down. After it sits for a few minutes (to let it crust), I use the Melvira Method to smooth it. This works best when the cake is setting on just a cardboard .... the benchscraper blade should be flush against the cardboard. After smoothing, I use a spatula to lift the cake onto the plastic plate.

All my cakes are on a cardboard PLUS on a plastic plate. If it's a big sheet cake (12x18 or larger), I tape together and cover with foil at least 3 cardboards .... and even then I put the cake on a large board just for transporting.

WildWires Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildWires Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 4

Guys, that link is pretty informative. To answer your question TexasSugar, yes, I have been using an icing dam, but after reading your and the indydebi's post, I think it is just my inexperience that got the best of me. On the link, it shows to go back and fill in with Stiff Icing and that is one thing I have not been doing, just relied on the crumb coat for that, (DING!!) The cake did turn out OK, but the buldge bothered me. I think with more experience and reading more on CC and the net, I can overcome these issues and produce better products...Thanx guys, Ur The BesT!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%