Pretzel Rods As Dowels??

Decorating By MsSugarBaker Updated 11 Nov 2006 , 4:01am by MsSugarBaker

MsSugarBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsSugarBaker Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 7

I was wondering what anyone thought about using pretzel rods in the drumstick parts of the roasted turkey cake instead of a plastic dowel. I understand that they will get soft when exposed to cake and buttercream, but what if they were covered in chocolate first that would form a barrier between the cake and them. Do you think that would work? I'm just looking for an all edible solution to the roasted turkey cake.

What do you think?

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 7

They might hold up, but you would still have to remove them to cut the cake. It would be hard to cut through the pretzel.

I would play it safe and use regular dowels or heavy straws.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 7

are you doing this because you ran out of wooden dowels ?

I would still use the wooden ones even if I have pretzels in the house. I would think the wooden ones are still much stronger . Just to be 100% safe. icon_smile.gif

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 7

I'm wondering how those Piroulline (sp?) cookies, like for fences, etc., would hold up, they are filled with chocolate and are pretty crispy outside. Janice

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:16am
post #5 of 7

Candy canes?

Ishi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishi Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:25am
post #6 of 7

Even if it were covered in chocolate, there is so much moisture in cakes that I think pretzel rods would turn to mush pretty quickly. Probably not a risk worth taking...

MsSugarBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsSugarBaker Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:01am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the replys. No, I have dowel rods both wooden and plastic, but I was just wondering about an all edible solution. This is going to DH's co-workers, and I'm sure the only thing that will be left are two plastic dowels-licked clean and the pan--not a crumb will be found. They are cake-o-holics--one guy has his own personalized plate and real silverware that he keeps in his office! LOL Did I mention these guys like eating cake?? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%