Fondant Covered Cakes

Decorating By patriciav Updated 26 Jul 2005 , 3:46pm by Sugar

patriciav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciav Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone!

I have a question regarding cakes that are completely covered in fondant. As a rule, are they not suppose to be refriderated? I am guessing not due to condensation, but I'm not sure. (Can you tell I'm new to cake decorating). If not then how many days can you handle the baked cake without being refrigerated to still be considered fresh? And does this limit the fillings you use to fat-based ones such as buttercreams?

Also, I was wondering how many of you freeze the cakes you bake for clients and if this alters the taste?

Thank you for your time, hope to hear from you soon!

5 replies
Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 6

I keep my cakes frozen for about a week or so and the cake is fine.
I don't refridgerate fondant cakes (I don't think you can)
I always use buttercream to fill mine, and decorate the same day or the day before it is to be served (it depends on the recipe you use)

patriciav Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 6

Sugar: Thank you so much for the info!

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 6

Like Sugar, I fill mine with buttercream. You don't need to refrigerate as long as you have the AC on or the temperature is cool. I live in Miami, so, the AC is always on . . .lol!

Sugar, I don't usually freeze my cakes, my question is, when you do, how long does it take to thaw them out?

patriciav Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 2:34am
post #5 of 6

I'm going to try MMF (marshmallow fondant) next, and was just wondering if this type of fondant can also be left out of the fridge or if it is different? Thanks!

Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alengirl

Sugar, I don't usually freeze my cakes, my question is, when you do, how long does it take to thaw them out?

It's pretty fast, but it really depends on the size of the cake and hot hot it is outside. Like on Sunday we were under a heat advisory warning, so I opened up a window in my bedroom, closed the door so I wouldn't air condition the entire neighborhood, and set the cake in there. It was thawed in a real short time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%