Getting Way Ahead Of Myself, But So Excited!!!

Business By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 1 Mar 2013 , 11:25pm by kikiandkyle

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 13

After doing countless searches online trying to find a commercial kitchen to rent in Somerset County, NJ, I might have a bit on one!!!

I was so disappointed to find out about two or three months ago from the Board of Health that church kitchens in my area are not inspected so are not considered "legal" for a business. I was going to ask my pastor and if he said no there are about four or five other churches of different denominations on the same stretch (all within a few block of eachother!). Well that went up in smoke before I even started.

I also called my children's school only to find out that they don't ever rent it out. Bummer! Especially during the summer I though I could get a few days a week in, but no.

So I just did my online Google search that I do about once a month and something actually showed up at TooManyChefs.com! I just sent an e-mail off to the person who posted about having a commercial (bakery) kitchen for rent in Somerset County for $135/day. I'm so excited I can't wait to hear if it's available and all the other info.

Please cross your fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes for me!!

12 replies
briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 13

Good luck!!!

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 13

Fingers, toes, and eyes are crossed!

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 13

have everything i can cross crossed for you!! Please let us know as soon as you hear something!!

Hugs and more hugs,
LuAnn

robertascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robertascakes Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 13

Did I read that correctly? $135.00/day??? I own my own wedding cake biz in Florida and have rent my own shop (500 square feet) for $560/month + utilities of about $125/month. $135.00/day sounds really high to me unless I'm just getting a really good deal. Now I did have to provide my own oven, frig etc. I rent out my kitchen when I'm not using it to a guy who makes cheesecakes for restaurants and only charge him $20/day. Hopefully you can talk them down some! Just thought I would give this input.
Roberta

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:30am
post #6 of 13

I am with Roberta, that seems a litte on the high side. I would see if they would come down on the price some. icon_biggrin.gif

Roberta-where in Florida is your shop located?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:46am
post #7 of 13

Oops, guess I should explain. I'm about 1 hour and 40 minutes away from NYC. Also I live in an area ...........let's put it this way... I live less than 10 minutes away from Trump's NJ Golf Course. The price (though I wish it were less) is to be expected, especially for a commercial kitchen where liability is high.

I can't wait to get a reply e-mail. Have to find out though if I need my own liab. insurance or if it's included (along with a million other details).

Thanks, Guys!!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:50am
post #8 of 13

I have my fingers crossed for you! icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 13

Okay, so things are looking good right now. Thanks for all the good wishes!

I'll be seeing the bakery/kitchen next week and meeting the owner. (S)he even said that (s)he might even be able to get me some more work! Yoo hoo!

I've already registered at a local community college to take a food handling safety course ($98.00). And I have to look into insurance and putting my little one into preschool (which I was going to do anyway). So this is costly in a number of ways, but I'm hoping this is a foothold into launching a business. I'm looking at this as at least being cheaper than building my own commercial kitchen as an addition to my house. If everything works out and I do build up a business, then that would be a possiblity down the road, but at least I'll have a base upon which to build and the justification for that expense.

But from what I've been e-mailed, this kitchen has availability on Mondays and possibly Tuesdays; it's about 25 minutes away from where I live and the owner lives in the same town as me!; there's a 20 qt. Hobart mixer, 5 rack convection oven, 6 burner stove with conventional oven, etc.

I'll keep you all posted as I find out what will be. I can't wait until next week!!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 13

wow robertascakes! you got some cheap utilities in florida!

my electric bill can go up to 600.00 a month!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:23pm
post #11 of 13

It still amazes me sometimes how the cost of living varies from place to place, but I guess I'm used to the higher cost of living. Then again my mother-in-law was telling me about a house that's for sale not too far away from where my sis-in-law lives (which is 20 minutes away from me) and when I was looking on-line, the taxes nearly blew me away. Seven acres of property and the house is $720,000 and they want $18,500 in taxes!!!! May as well go to Long Island or Colts Neck/Marlboro, NJ for that.

I have 2.25 acres and my house is probably worth about $640,000 and I pay about $7,000 in taxes. To me paying $10,000 and above (even a bit below) is just crazy. I wish my taxes were lower already. Don't even get me started on the cost of oil to heat this house!!

nadia99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadia99 Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 13

I know this is a really old post, but I was wondering if Sugar_Plum_Fairy ended up using this commercial kitchen, or found another one? I live in Somerset County and am trying any leads I can find.  Thanks!!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 1 Mar 2013 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 13

Sugar Plum Fairy, don't ever move to IL, I was just looking at some houses in a nearby town that are going for $150K and the taxes are almost $11k. Seriously. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%