sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 14

How do I make fire flames with fondant?

13 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:26pm
post #2 of 14

Great question - I'd like to know too. My husband is a firefighter and has a birthday coming up next month. Anyone have any tips?

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 14

I've seen them done by cutting them out flat and leaving them to dry and by rolling pointy topped "balls" of fondant - each ball being an individual flame.

Hope that helps!
Deb

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 14

If you want realistic looking flames they are very nice cut from wafer paper or gumpaste and then airbrushed orange, red and yellow. Or if you want more of a cartoony look like the ones Duff Goldman does on his fist of rock cake they are made of fondant and shaped kind of like a Hershey's Kiss. Here is a link to mine.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=2

TMM2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TMM2001 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 14

when I made flames for my star wars cake I used fruit roll ups and attached them to a piece of fondant.

nichi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nichi Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 14

You know someone made some really awesome flames on a Gravedigger cake. I think she posted it yesterday, they looked pretty neat but I don't know how she made them.

nichi Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 14

If you go search gravedigger in the gallery you will see it. Looks like it was the fabulous work of aprilmanning.

thecakemaker Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 14

They look similar to the ones I made for my Harley Davidson cake. I made mine with chocolate.

Debbie

nichi Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 14

Yeah those are cool! Do you just use a pattern under wax paper or something?

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM2001

when I made flames for my star wars cake I used fruit roll ups and attached them to a piece of fondant.

Those flames look really neat! Did you have fondant cut out in the shape of flames and then let it harden before you attached the fruit rollup?

I have a campfire cake coming up next weekend, sorry to stick my question in someone else's post.

thecakemaker Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #11 of 14

nichi ~ if you were referring to my HD flames - yes. Just place your picture under waxed or parchment paper and pipe the chocolate and let cool - wa lah! flames!

Debbie

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 14

On my candles I made little tear drop shapes let them dry and then painted with food color. I think if you want 2D flames I would cut out pieces that would look like waves and some tear drops and then just hand paint like I did the teardrops......PM me if you have questions.

MG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MG Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 14

I used a cutter from the Wilton Gumpaste Flower kit that is shaped liked a flame. If you look in my photos the Halloween Barbie Witch has the flames around the cauldron.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 14

I think the leaves in the Wilton fondant cutter leaf cutter set resemble flames, maybe overlapping them a bit, as does the maple leaf cookie cutter, minus the tail and sharpening the points of the leaves a bit.

I marbled red, orage and yellow fondant together and it looked cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%