How Do I Choose An Air Brush System!?!?

Decorating By krazykat_14 Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 4:49pm by krazykat_14

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I'm just starting out as a hobby/leisure cake decorator. I love doing this, I've made my first wedding cake (which had some structural issues, but turned out alright otherwise, especially the fondant [see my pics]) and I'm considering stepping up to air brushing.

My problem is this: I don't have an extra $150 for even an inexpensive setup or anyone who is willing to spend that much on me for a birthday or Christmas. icon_sad.gif

If I were to get a cheap set using CO2 cartriges for doing nails, as long as it hasn't been used, couldn't I just use the food coloring/airbrush color in place of the nail polish?

I'd rather spend $15 to see if it fits my style first than to spend the big chunk to find out I don't like it! Has anyone tried this, could it work, any thoughts/ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

7 replies
kitterman12003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitterman12003 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8

i dont know how the c02 system would work, but as far as airbrushing being your style. well you can do anthing with airbrushes. they are absolutley awesome! i have that nice setup from copykake, that is adjustable, and it is amazing the things i can do with it! i hope you find one for you. they really are an amazing tool to have in the old tool box!!! thumbs_up.gif

venecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venecakes Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 8

The best airbrush system is the Kopykake air-master. It cost me around $250 and haven't used it much. But if you want something that will last for ever, this is somenthig to consider. Good luck in your search

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 8

I want to start doing airbrushing also. I looked at the KopyKake and Air Maters compressors offered on this web site.

I then took their specs and looked over on ebay. I found many with the same PSI from 5 - 40, 1/8 HP, and tools for a lot less money.

I went ahead and bid on one, but now wish I would have asked more questions here. I hope it will be okay.

I figure if I pay $80 and it doesn't work, I can resell it. I am hoping I have done the right thing. The one I choose has a 1 year warranty

I have been searching this web-site for over 2 hours reading everything I can find on the compressors.

If you get any orther information, please let me know. I plan on using the Americolor paint. I will let you know if it works out, or if I find any other information.

DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:47am
post #5 of 8

I have a Kopy Kake airbrush and love it. Since you can adjust the air pressure you don't have to worry about the icing flying off the cake.

I have seen a children's airbrush at Target and another airbrush at Michaels that are inexpensive (around $30).

Please let us know if you have luck with whatever you decide to try!

krazykat_14 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks! The little cheap ones are what I'm looking at, there are some on Ebay for nails or a sunless tanning system, and the ones at big box stores for models or kid-type stuff...

I don't know if I'd be any good at it, I've never played with one before, so I don't want to blow large amounts of money I don't have on something that's just going to collect dust in the corner.

Granted, I could probably use it to blow the dust off of knick-knacks if I don't like painting with it... icon_lol.gif ... no uni-taskers here!!! thumbs_up.gif

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 8

Harbor Freight has one for ten dollars. You'll need air. You can buy canned air in art stores and I've also seen a system where you can attach a hose to a car tire. I think I saw that in bigceramicstore

krazykat_14 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 8

Wow! That's a terrific site! I'll look into it and let everyone know what I come up with.

I also looked up Badger Air-Brushes and they've got some good information, i.e. what internal v. external mix means, single v. dual action etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%