What Does She Mean By "dam Icing"?

Decorating By onegr8girl Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 5:45pm by dueter

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 9

I need help. Someone left me a comment on one of my cakes about "damming icing". I don't know what this means. Can anyone help me? TIA

8 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 9

If you fill between your cake layers with a filling, you put what is called an "icing dam" to help hold it in. It means to pipe a circle of icing just inside the outer edge of your layer to form a "dam" on the outside to keep the filling in. I do it by just using the coupler on by piping bag with no tip - that way it is thick enough to do some good to keep the filling from oozing out. It works well to have your icing on the stiff side for this - otherwise soft will ooze out just like the filling. Be careful not to overfill - the weight of the upper layers can still make the filling and icing dam ooze out.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 9

A ring of icing around the inside of the edge of each layer of cake. It helps to keep your filling in and prevents the "bulge" look on cakes. I use a stiff or medium stiff icing for this and a tip 12. Usually around 1/4-1/2 away from the edge works for me. Then add your filling/icing. Put on your next layer and repeat.

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 9

I say damn icing all the time! But, it's really what the two above have said. icon_wink.gif

Christy

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 9

lol cranberry i say that a lot too

whtrbbt420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whtrbbt420 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

I say damn icing all the time! But, it's really what the two above have said. icon_wink.gif

Christy

LMBO! I say it too icon_lol.gif

onegr8girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onegr8girl Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 9

I had to laugh when I read this. All I could think was "I know what I mean when I say 'damn icing', and it has nothing to do with 1/4 inches or tip 12's."
LOL icon_lol.gif

dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:45pm
post #9 of 9

I said dam icing just a little while ago. Dropped whole batch on the floor and the weiner dog was quicker than me. Now I have no icing and a little dog on a sugar high icon_eek.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%