Painting With Food Coloring

Decorating By cakenut516 Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm by dominique26

cakenut516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenut516 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 10

I often paint details onto my modelled figures (like faces) using powdered black food coloring mixed with vodka or lemon extract. However, my "paint" sometimes comes out too thin (and not black enough) or too clumpy. Does anyone have a better painting mixture? Or a suggested brand of powdered food coloring? I'd like my "paint" to go on more smoothly since often I apply a lot of tiny details to my work with a very fine paintbrush. Thanks.

9 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 10

I havent tried it yet but I was planning on painting my faces on my faries with my airbrush coloring set...Ill let you know how that works..

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 10

I am new to the sculpting thing. But I have been using Wilton's color gel and put it directly on the brush and paint with that

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 10

I used powdered colours when I painted my wine bottle cake and my paint (mixed with clear lemon extract) was a bit grainy..but OK..

A better mix IMHO to use when you do figures is the gel colours mixed with a tiny bit of clear lemon extract or vodka...it is very smooth and the colours are pretty true.

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 10

i use wilton gel (thus far) mixed with a little almond extract

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 10

I just painted a cake this weekend with airbrush colorand a brush. It went on super easy and the fondant didn't get sticky or gummy. The colors were very vibrant and there was no taste. I just uploaded the picture to my gallery if anyone wants to take a look.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 10

pardon my ignorance, but is airbrush color a brand name or do mean color for an airbrush?

dominique26 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 10

It's color that is for an airbrush. It is already thinned out, so you don't have to add anything to it like you do with the gel paste or powders. icon_smile.gif

cakenut516 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenut516 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:35pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks! You've all been helpful. Do you have problems with the finished product smearing when you use either the gels mixed with extract or the airbrush color?

dominique26 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 10

I had no problems with smearing using the airbrush color. It dried within minutes. I assembled the cake on-site, and didn't have to touch-up anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%