Birthday Cakes For Men

Decorating By hottub Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 10:58am by strawberry0121

hottub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hottub Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 18

I have to do two cakes for Friday. 9"layers- round. My choice of design. I need ideas. nothing too challengeing , iced in BC - can have fondant accents. I looked at the galleries but everything looks so feminine. Thanks for any help.

17 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 18

I know roses are thought to be "feminine" but my husband swears when I make chocolate roses, they are both manly and delicious! Chocolate is always a great option-just cover in ganache and it looks more manly. I know it's birthday, but check out the Grooms Cake gallery for inspiration. There are some really great and simple cakes in there that of course are manly and appetizing.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 18

Ha! I'm with you there! My ballroom dancing partner's birthday is this weekend, so I'm making him a cake as a gift, but I'm stumped as to what to do! I think a good choice maybe chocolate, or a blue/green palette. Maybe some geometric shapes with fondant for accents?

hottub Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 18

thanks- i was thinking of the blues and greens also- now i'm thinking chocolate too

jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 18

Something for bottom of cake...maybe a fondant strip around the circumfrence of the bottom in a bold color. That way, if they don't like fondant, they can easily pull it off.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 18

I know, cakes for men are more challenging! Chocolate always looks manly to me. I did one with some chocolate scrolls on it awhile back.

I also like the idea of sports, teams (if they have a favorite). I have done a couple of michigan state cakes (one just with the team logo, the other a ball cap) I am looking forward to doing a jersey cake at some point.

or a cake that looks like a gift is pretty gender neutral.

Here are a couple of cakes I have done for men

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=707503

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=47427

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=43464

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 18

I made one for my FIL last year - it is blue and brown. The base color is actually a very light blue but it is hard to tell from the picture.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=68446

If anything, I think it is best to stay away from "frilly" things like too many flowers or ruffles, etc.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 18

How about Cornelli lace? I asked this question about a month ago and it was one of the suggestions, Look good for a mans cake. I also just did one with I call it a crest around the sides and a bigger on on top of the the cake one on each side is chocolate. Looked pretty nice.

Kat

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:26pm
post #9 of 18

Wow - I looked at your baseball cap cake Merissa - amazing!

Most men have a sports team they follow - you could always do a simple butter cream transfer of a team logo...

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #10 of 18
BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 18

I think black and white always looks somewhat manly to me - I did a cake for a man who's bday color scheme was Black and White - this is what I came up with - it was simple and of course it would work on a round cake just fine. You could use any color fondant for the circles for that matter!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=965713

Sandralee903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandralee903 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:02pm
post #12 of 18

You might try looking in the gallery at the "Groom's" cakes. There's a bunch of masculine cakes there that you could get ideas from.

hottub Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:31pm
post #13 of 18

WOW, thanks everyone all your cakes look wonderful and i got lots of ideas - thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:26pm
post #14 of 18

Here's the cake I made for my Husbnds birthday. It was chocolate with peanut butter frosting...I know you wanted buttercream, but this might give you an idea for decorating. It has chocolate shavings and chopped/ground peanuts on the sides. He really liked it, and I think it looks pretty masculine, but still like you put a bit of work into it.
LL

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 18

We need to have a place to put masculine cakes.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:02am
post #16 of 18

The guys I know would like naked /topless women on their cakes !!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:14am
post #17 of 18

Most of the men lthat I know like German Chocolate or Carrot Cake. Maybe go with a "Fall" them...those strike me as manly colors. icon_smile.gif

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 10:58am
post #18 of 18

Check out my pumpkin cake. I molded the pumkins out of rice crispies treats and put cinnamon in the butter cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%