Betty Crocker Bake N'fill.....

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 4:35am by caketherapy

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 40

I got one of these because it looked cool on tv .... has anyone used one of these? They also make mini's...didn't get that.

39 replies
anne4588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anne4588 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 40

Have one and love it, from the very first try the choc. cake came out, filled with choc Ice Cream and Choc. BC thumbs_up.gif .my friend is a chocoholic.
Enjoy it.

Jopalis Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 40

Do you do bc on it or fondant? Thought about filling with choc. mousse... Thinking about the minis so could make individual cakes.... Do you just use regular cake mix or whatever you use regularly...like extender recipe, etc. ?

anne4588 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anne4588 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 40

I used a box mix (1) or you can use your norm, and BC. You could use any filling, and fondant would be fine,if you so choose.
Don't tell DF about Choc Mousse, or that will be this years cake. lol tapedshut.gif

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:59am
post #5 of 40

hello Jopalis

I have one from another manufacturer (not Betty Crocker)... It has more of a dome shape, & I have the minis.

I just love them. check my photos; I have one in there that looks like a giant truffle. It is chocolate cake, with chocolate filling, light covering of chocolate buttercream, & finally, covered in chocolate fondant.
I love the dome shape; really makes impressive cakes.
I found that one standard recipe was too much, it overflowed a bit.

ciao.

gmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gmcakes Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:35am
post #6 of 40

I have both the regular set and the minis! Plus, my mini set came with bundt-like pans as well! I love mini and use it mainly with ice icream-that's the fave around here!

(ps...The mini pan makes great boobs for naughty cakes!)

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:42am
post #7 of 40

I have the large one, it came with the dome shaped pan as well as the regular flat top pan. The first cake I made in it was for a co-worker of Hubby's. He wanted german chocolate cake with cherry pie filling in the middle of it (thought I was just doing a two layer cake) covered in the german chocolate icing. I couldn't find that icing so I used the only thing available close to it which was Pecan Coconut canned frosting (ewwww) But he loved it!!!! Wouldn't share with anyone lol not even his wife and kids lol.

I told him now that I've started a business he'll have to pay $45.~ for the next one lol icon_wink.gif

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 40

I WANT ONE icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:22am
post #9 of 40

I ordered mine off the website, they really aren't that expencive and I believe WalMart even sells them now lol. icon_smile.gif Under $30.~ for a very nice very versitile pan set.

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:32am
post #10 of 40

i want one to!!!! it looks like alot of fun to use...wal-mart use to carry it for 25.00....but then they stopped!!!!! i was so mad the day i went to buy it....mabey they'll bring it back out for christmas!!!!

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:41am
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcakes

I have both the regular set and the minis! Plus, my mini set came with bundt-like pans as well! I love mini and use it mainly with ice icream-that's the fave around here!

(ps...The mini pan makes great boobs for naughty cakes!)

I need a set of these! icon_lol.gif

ellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellers Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:12am
post #12 of 40

I have them and it makes really neat cakes. I filled it with ice cream, but I have seen people fill them with a different flavor cake.

My set came with a dome shaped pan, and also a round cake pan. The round cake pan has rounded edges, so I think it would be quite simple to cover with fondant. Personally, I love Hershey's chocolate frosting and that is what I frosted with.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:31pm
post #13 of 40

I wanted one when they first came out but still haven't gotten one yet. I saw it at Bed,Bath & Beyond and at Linens & Things for $19.99 plus they always have a coupon out.

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:51pm
post #14 of 40

I was afraid to get one. I figured they wouldn't be any good, but now that I have read this post, I am tempted to go out and find one now. icon_biggrin.gif

OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 40

If you can't find one in your stores you can buy online, that's where I got mine from. I want to get the mini's next icon_biggrin.gif They also have a bundt form available that can be filled! icon_biggrin.gif

The shipping time is horrible though so if you can find it in the stores go for it. I waited over 2 months to receive mine.... but here's the link anyway. I will say it was worth the wait! I received the dome pan free of charge, in the kit, as well as the round/regular pan. The possibilities are endless with this thing and the website even has pics of cakes that have been done by other people who have bought the pans icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.bakenfill.com/

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:12pm
post #16 of 40

Someone gave me one as a gift. It isn't the Betty Crocker name brand though. It didn't come with much instruction. I used it only once. It didn't quite turn out. Can someone briefly describe how you're suppose to use it? I know this is probably a 'duh' question. Sorry for my ignorance. TIA

OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:30pm
post #17 of 40

No hun it's not a 'duh' question it's a very good question.

First you want to spray or grease every part of the pan, the inside of the big pan, the OUTSIDE and under the rim of the insert pan (to make the hole inside the big cake), as well as the inside of the insert pan if you plan to fill it with another cake batter. Also the base pan (the flat small round one) grease inside it bake all together. Base cake will bake for about 20-25 minutes, (the instructions are on the bakenfill webbie I posted a few messages back) and the dome or large round will bake for a total of 50-55 minutes.. Let cool STILL LOCKED TOGETHER, for about 20 minutes, unlock and remove insert pan and let everything cool as is, BASE CAKE COOLS FOR 10 MINS then remove it from pan, and let cool to wire rack. Once everything is completely cool, about 20-30 minutes (because it's still in that hot pan cooling down) fill the dome or large pan with whatever filling you're going to use, or invert the insert cake and put it in the "hole" in the dome/round cake. Add a thin layer of frosting BEFORE doing so. Add a thin layer of frosting to the edges before adding the base cake round. Once completely assembled, place a plate or platter or cake board on top and invert as normal. Let cool a few minutes to make extra sure it's completely cool, then ice as you want to. icon_smile.gif

I hope this helps, normally I would have gone and grabbed the instruction book but just so happens with moving and all we packed ALL my pans and baking supplies up last night and there are about 20 boxes I'd have to read the side of to find the BNF pan set and then dig it out and get the book out of it. I'm sorry but the instructions are on the website. http://www.bakenfill.com/ there is also a bit on baking a layered cake with this pan set there so it may be useful for you to print or bookmark/favorites this page for the instructions icon_smile.gif

HTH and sorry it's a little jumbly icon_sad.gif

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:37pm
post #18 of 40

It's perfect. Cleared everything right up. I see now that I did do it correctly. I didn't bake it long enough. I will print your reply and put it with my pans. Thanks for the help.

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:48pm
post #19 of 40

I used mine once....didn't like it!! But, I think I overfilled the pan and it ended up being a really dense poundcake like texture, not what I wanted at all.....but, I may try it again. FYI, The domed pan is a great alternative for the ball pan!!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:51pm
post #20 of 40

Did anyone see the "200 piece decorating set" on the site? When you click on that link from earlier..?? I'm wondering if it's any good - it's pretty cheap and you can get scroll pattern presses, letter presses, decorating combs, and bags... it also comes w/ some plastic tips but I'm not sure how great those would really be..... the rest of it looks pretty cool though -and for $20?? I was just wondering if anyone had the decorating kit too......

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:03am
post #21 of 40

I love my bake and fill.

You can make so many things with it, the doll cake, balls, watermelon, the ideas are endless.

Plus I saw 1 at my Walmart just the other day, maybe they are coming back for the holidays, plus check ebay, you might find 1 on there.

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:52am
post #22 of 40

I want to make them like tiramisu with the filling....yummm!

Jopalis Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:54am
post #23 of 40

E-Bay ones have been retail price plus high shipping... I got one on E-Bay for a bit more than in a store. I ordered the minis from the site and bumped up the 19.95 to an additional 14.95 to get all the extra pieces, like for bundt, shortcake, etc.

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 2:06am
post #25 of 40

Target stores also carry them.

~Luraleigh~

gmcakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:09am
post #26 of 40

I have seen the minis at a local HEB grocery store (in Temple, TX)...might be worth checking!

bonniesido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniesido Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:13am
post #27 of 40

Mine was a gift from my sister. I love the little thing. I have made several cakes with it, and they have all turned out good! Works great and is so easy to clean up!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:23am
post #28 of 40

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT A MINUTE!!! After seeing all these positive responses it is OBVIOUS to me that I need all of your help!!!

I bought the BC version, because like all of you, I thought that was probably the coolest thing I had seen in years!! Got it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for 19.99 MINUS the 20% coupon... so got it CHEAP! Brought it home, have tried it several times, and want to strangle Betty Crocker with her jaunty little neckerchief ever since!! HELP ME!! Here's the deal...

#1. Cannot use 'doctored' cake mix... it flops. You have to bake it longer to try and get it done, and then it tastes burnt, even though it's barely done baking. Has anyone else made it work with a doctored mix? What did you do differently?

#2. You have to cool it in the pan to retain the shape... when I do that, the condensation runs down the center pan and makes a wet spot in the center of the domed cake, which then makes it all nasty and it breaks. Should I cool it upside down so that the condensation runs out instead?

I wanted this pan to work, I was all excited, was going to buy all the mini's and everything, but then found that this stupid thing wouldn't work!! Someone please tell me they can solve my problems!! I want it to work SO BADLY!!! It looks so awesome on the commercials!! icon_cry.gif

gmcakes Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:23pm
post #29 of 40

I have not used the pan with a doctored mix...so I'm not sure about the problems you are having!

As far as the condensation, I have never had this problem with the cakes getting soggy in the middle. Yes, you do have to cool the cakes in the pan to retain their shape. I always fill with ice cream though...so as soon as my cakes are cooled to room temp, I fill then quickly flip them out of the pan...line the pan with Saran, put back in the pan and keep frozen until ready to decorate.

Do you cool your cakes with the center insert still in place? Maybe that could be the problem?

I have never had any problems with mine...so sorry this is so frustrating for you!

Has anyone else had these same problems...perhaps you could offer some advice?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 6:26pm
post #30 of 40

Yes, I cool the cake with the insert in place because the directions said to do that. That's the part where the water collects on it and runs down. You know, down the inside of the dome insert. *sigh* I want this to work really badly!! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%