To Freeze Or Not To Freeze....

Decorating By emhurston Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 1:40am by pastryjen

emhurston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emhurston Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 13

that is the question. I baked cakes today (Monday afternoon) and will decorate first thing Wednesday morning to be eaten that afternoon. Will the cake stay fresh until Wed. if I wrap it well, or should I put it in the freezer until Tuesday night. Thanks for your input!

Ellen

12 replies
rhiannon1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhiannon1979 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 13

I have read a lot of posts that say that cakes taste better if they are frozen overnight. I have only frozen a few cakes and they are still very good. If it is only going to be a few days before you decorate it, I think it would be good to just wrap it up really good in sranwrap. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

JennerRed01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennerRed01 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 13

Do you have to let it lay out for a little while to thaw before you can start decorating it or can you do it while it is still frozen?

rhiannon1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhiannon1979 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 13

When you take the cake out of the freezer let the cake come to room temp inside the wraping. After that you can take it out and decorate it as you want.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 13

I decorate while still frozen, it is easier to stack and ice. It takes longer to crust this way as the cake thaws and releases moisture, and you may also notice it "sweating" from condensation as well. Don't worry though, it will disappear as it evaporates or reabsorbs into the icing.

If you decide to thaw first, thaw while it is still wrapped to retain moisture.

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 13

I have made it a general ule to freeze all my cakes, even if its just overnight. i have definitely noticed a MAJOR diffeence w/ my cakes that I freeze- they are super moist. It's something about the freezing that makes a big, big difference. I thaw mine in the wrapping and then decorate.

Rhonda

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 13

The thing I like about freezing the cakes are that they are less "crumbly" when I go to frost and decorate and they are very moist! I freeze even if it's overnight. It must be something molecular that happens!

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 13

I also freeze even if it is just overnight. I have so many comments on how moist the cake is. It is also so much easier to move if it is frozen!

JennerRed01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennerRed01 Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 13

AWESOME GUYS! I have just learned a very important step! I am a total beginner so it's nice to get these tips on how to do things easier and better!

Brickflor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brickflor Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 13

I've frozen cakes too-very tasty! Nice and moist, no problems. I let mine thaw completely though before frosting. I tried to frost a frozen cake once-bad idea-I live in PA and with the humidity the frosting wouldn't crust and I couldn't smooth it. Plus my decorations kept falling off and the frosting didn't want to stick to the cake.

StaceyRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyRN Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:10am
post #11 of 13

so can you put the buttercream inbetween your layers and still freeze?

ChristineMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineMarie Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 12:28am
post #12 of 13

How long can the cake stay frozen? How long does it take to defrost?

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 1:40am
post #13 of 13

I fill my cake and crumb coat. Freeze and decorate from frozen. If I need to use red or black then I wait so that it doesn't bleed but that is rare that I use those colours a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%