Butter Recipe Box Mix...help!

Decorating By delgado2134 Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 9:35am by diane

delgado2134 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delgado2134 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I have several boxes of the DH Butter Recipe yellow cake mixes. I don't have any butter and I have to make these in a bit. Can I make this cake mix like I normally make yellow box mixes ( i.e apple sauce or oil) ?? Or does it have to be butter?? Thanks!!

4 replies
eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 5

I bought some of those by accident last month and didn't realize it until I went to use them... I don't like those personally, it's a texture thing, not a flavor thing. Anyway, I called DH and asked if I could substitute and they said no, they would not recommend it. It's made a certain way to specifically use butter and it won't come out good if you substitute oil or applesauce. icon_sad.gif

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:01am
post #3 of 5

the only thing I have every substituted was using margarine (I was totally out of butter) and it tasted just fine.

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:11am
post #4 of 5

i have substitued oil for butter in box mixes and never had a problem. i prefer the butter taste, but i've never had a problem with them! i bought a regular white cake mix once, and meant to buy the butter recipe white so instead of the 1/3 cup of oil it called for, i used 1 stick of butter. i would think that doing the opposite (subbing oil for butter) would work the same way?? Just a guess... sorry! I only use cake mixes for cake, and i rarely follow the instructions. i always add a little of this and a little of thta, and i've never had a problem.

Good luck! Hope it works!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 9:35am
post #5 of 5

i also never follow the instructions, but add what i want to any box mix and i always never have had any problems. i only use dh and love their mixes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%