Cake Jacks.....umm How Do They Work?

Decorating By 2sdae Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm by becky27

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 23

So I get a box in the mail the other day and it has my DH's name on it. I leave it for him unopened and just forget it.
So it sits thee from friday till this morning when DH says "Are you gonna open that package?" icon_confused.gif
It has HIS name on it, why would I open it?
He says "well, it is for you, so go." icon_biggrin.gif
I open it up to find 6 packages of cake jacks. icon_eek.gif
There are 6 in each package so he thought I'd have enough to make a really large cake even if I had to and have plenty of these for it.

My question is has anyone used these and are they dependable?
Do you request them back and charge a deposit to cover them just in case they are not returned?
He got me the 3 in ones that go up to 4 1/4 inches so are these the better ones or are the longer ones more used in your opinions.
Thanks for any all info. I think I'll google them also. thumbs_up.gif

22 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 23

I havent got a clue but heres a bump!!! Im quite interested..

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 23

I've never heard of cake jacks...I'm interested too!

Jacqui

SweetToothCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCreations Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #4 of 23

I love cake jacks, I have used them in several large wedding cakes, and yes they are dependable, the package should tell you how many to put into each layer. I do request a deposit to replace them if they are not returned, I send list of the items I need returned and I put how many cake jacks are in the cake. They are so much easier and faster than cutting dowel rods, much easier to get them all the same height! I have both the 3in and 4in, it just depends on how tall your cake is. Hope this helps!

fmcmulle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmcmulle Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 23

I have never used them but am really curious also on how they work. I googled them and saw what they look like but I ahd never heard of them.
I can't wait to find out though...

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 23

I had never heard of them, so I googled them and here's a link to some....

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=1061

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:48pm
post #7 of 23

Hmmmm, they look interesting. I hate cutting dowels so this may be just what I'm looking for. I hate to have to worry about people returning stuff though.

Magda_MI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magda_MI Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 23

I've used them for several wedding cakes, including 2 that were transported already stacked, with no problems (I did use a center dowel as well on the stacked ones). I definitely prefer them to cutting dowels, and agree that it's easier to get them all exactly the same height. They're also perfectly flat, which makes them sit better than inexpertly cut dowels which may have a slant on the ends.

I only do wedding cakes for friends, so I'm always there to make sure they get saved and get back to me, but they're cheap enough one could always charge a deposit and/or build the cost into the cake.

I have both 3" and 4" ones, since my cakes can be anywhere from just under 4 inches to 4.5 inches. I just use a sewing seam gauge to measure and mark the height of the cake, and then adjust the jacks to match.

As someone who doesn't do many wedding cakes, I like them because they are easier to use than traditional dowels, more adjustable than the SPS system, and much cheaper than the stress free supports.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:00pm
post #9 of 23

I'm confused. I checked the CountryKitchen link and it says the jacks are used in conjunction with the wood dowels. Is this not necessary?

RRGibson Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:33pm
post #10 of 23

Yeah I saw that as well khoudek. I always have nightmares that my cake is going to fall over. Yikes!

2sdae Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 23

I looked all over and haven't seen that any where but on country kitchen? icon_confused.gif
That's odd, do you think that's to sell the wood dowels and plastic dowels too maybe? icon_confused.gif

Magda_MI Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 23

Well, the instructions on the package say to use them in place of wooden or plastic dowels, which is what I've done and they've worked fine.

The only wooden dowel I've used with them was a sharpened one through the center of the entire cake when I was transporting them stacked. And as you can see, this cake didn't settle or shift at all during the hour long drive to the reception hall.

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #13 of 23

How sweet of your DH. Please tell him thank you from all of us for such a great find!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:23pm
post #14 of 23

Definitely going to check these out then. Thanks for the tip!

2sdae Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:24pm
post #15 of 23

I made him fav dinner to for a thanks.
Sauteed jumbo shrimp with linguine, broccoli, mushrooms, baby corn and rice noodles.
Plus he get a back rub after his shower.
Oh and now I have to make a cake to use them so he gets to pick the flavor...........least I can do is make the man a cake!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

RRGibson Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:47pm
post #16 of 23

They are also available on this site http://www.winbeckler.com/wedcakeseparators.asp...

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 23

I've used them and love them! You should definitely include them in the deposit if you want them back. They are not a disposable item, so why throw them away when they can be used over and over?

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:06pm
post #18 of 23

Being new I need some help understanding these. SO you put these jacks down inside the cake layers and you put a plate on top and then another cake. No other item is necessary besides the jacks and plates?
Susie

Magda_MI Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:17pm
post #19 of 23

They are a replacement for wooden dowels, and are used exactly the same way. You adjust them to the height of the cake, put them in just like wood dowels, and stack the next cake on top of them exactly as you would if you were using dowels.

You don't necessarily need plates. Just whatever you usually use under each tier of a stacked cake. Personally I use a foil covered cake board the same size as the cake. I know some other folks use foam core.

If you're not familiar with stacked construction in general, you may want to look here: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/building/dowelrod/dowel_tiered.cfm
and at the link near the bottom marked "stacked construction".

EatYourCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatYourCake Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:46pm
post #20 of 23

I love my cake jacks!!! I discovered them about a month ago. My hubby has never been more grateful of my find either. He was always my go to guy for dowel cutting. icon_biggrin.gif

phoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoohbear Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:02pm
post #21 of 23

LOVE my cake jaks. I always had a hard time getting wooden ones cut enven so my cakes leaned a little. Now if it is crooked I jsut lift it off and adjust the screws untill it is perfect. Great invenstment.

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:33pm
post #22 of 23

Magda_MI, Thanks for the explanation and the link. icon_smile.gif
Susie

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm
post #23 of 23

wow 2sdae....dinner, back rub and cake??!!!! throw in a manicure and pedicure....and i will send you some too!!!!! hahahahahahahha
you are a lucky girl!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%