Practice-First Wedding Cake

Decorating By sweetcreation Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 10:55pm by thems_my_kids

sweetcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreation Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 6

Here is a practice cake of the wedding cake I am doing next weekend. It is my first wedding cake. Being over here in Japan, on a military base, people can only get quality cakes from home bakers. So, this person knows I am new to this and not a professional.

I am pretty pleased with how the design came out. I used the small c scroll pattern press. All other designs are freehand. I don't like the hidden pillar look, but that is what the customer requested. There will also be another tier, a 10" round with the same design as the 6" round. I have tried several smoothing methods and the viva paper towel still seems to work best for me. I would love to try the foam roller technique, but I am limited in what I can find over here.

I have received advice and tips from a few cake decorators who have also made this cake design and I appreciate their insight. If you have any comments or suggestions to share, I would greatly appreciate them.
LL

5 replies
ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 6

Very pretty! What kind of topper will you be using? Will you add piping around the pillars or hide them with flowers?

Here's a salute to our military families at home and abroad! usaribbon.gifthumbs_up.gif

FFC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FFC Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 6

That looks great thumbs_up.gif I did my first and only wedding cake last September for my mother's wedding. Boy was that fun. 3 tiered but not stacked.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 6

If at all possible I'd go with smaller pillers that way it doesn't put such a huge hole in the cake but it still supports it. icon_smile.gif Otherwise it looks great icon_smile.gif

sweetcreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreation Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #5 of 6

The customer will be putting flowers in-between the tiers, thus covering up the pillars. I really wanted to do the center column construction, but I was too late in deciding to do that and the supplies won't come in time. I am going to ask the customer if she wants the pillars to be cut smaller, so the pillars are more hidden.

Thanks for your comments

thems_my_kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thems_my_kids Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:55pm
post #6 of 6

You did a great job!! I love the design!

Just wanted to mention though, that there are little things that go at the bottom of the pillars so it looks more finished and you don't see where they go into the cake, kwim? I'm sure you could find them on Wilton's site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%