Flower Nails For 1/2 Sheet Cake

Decorating By megankennedy Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 4:28pm by Woole2

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 11

Ok guys, I have a 1/2 sheet (12x1icon_cool.gif cake for my brother's housewarming this weekend. I have never baked a cake this big. I wanted to know if I should put a flower nail or two to ensure that it rises evenly, as I don't want to have to level it and I want high sides. Have you guys ever done this?

Also, I am piping their house on the top of the cake and have to make it look like bricks. what tip do you suggest?

10 replies
AmyKay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKay Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 11

Hi icon_smile.gif I would suggest doing two flower nails - just to be safe. Also, for the bricks, you might try doing a round tip, like 5 or 7, or higher, for the bricks. You could just do a short line with tip for a brick look. Good luck!

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 11

thanks - i will be posting it asap

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 11

I've baked sever cakes this size. I have had the best luck using two or three flower nails. Just space them evenly through the center of the pan. Good luck!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 11

I baked a cake this size last weekend and wished I had put three nails in. I ended up with a small 2" circle in the middle which drooped a little. A third nail in the center would have prevented this.

kbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbenz Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 11

I just baked one yesterday morning and used 3... previously I have used 2 but thought I would see the results of 3... they were good! I will use three from now on!!

simplysweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetcakes Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 11

I haven't heard of using flower nails when baking large cakes. Do you put them in with the nail sitcking up or the round platform sticking up? Also, can you use flower nail for round/square layers as well...if so how many would you use in a 12 or 14 inch pan? Thanks

kbenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbenz Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:28pm
post #8 of 11

I use only one when I do a 1/4 sheet, but I also recently used them in square pans... it seemed to keep the overall baking even and the middle got done at the same time as the edges. I put the nail head on the bottom of the pan, with the nail upright, then put parchment paper over then the cake mix. When you invert the cake on to a board the nails should come right out.

Woole2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woole2 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:43pm
post #9 of 11

WOW I have never heard of this techniqued used before. Do you only do this on large cake or any size? Its supose to make the cake rise evenly?

Angela

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:08am
post #10 of 11

I use the nail too. It helps the center cook faster and avoids the sinking middle. I started using one even on my 10 inch round cakes, and they seem to bake faster.....maybe it's my imagaination icon_redface.gif

Woole2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woole2 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 11

I will have to give it a try. I wonder who comes up with these ideas. I had asked my Wilton instructor about the sinking problem and she said go by the metel strips to go around the cake pan. I think she just wanted us to spend more money again.lol

Angela

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%