Silly Question ... How To Keep Frosting From Warming While

Decorating By CakeItGood Updated 30 Jul 2005 , 12:35am by HollyPJ

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 7

decorating? I am practicing for a 35th anniversary cake for my parents and just can't seem to keep the frosting from warming too much while I am using it (for practice, just using a 1 pound can of Wilton Decorating Frosting). Using a clear/thin disposable bag with coupler/tip. The icing gets too runny to use. I am sure it is a technique issue.

I "self-taught" a few very basic techniques (BC = Before Children), and have only done a few cakes. The cakes were BC, and I have not touched my decorating supplies in 5 years. Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

6 replies
pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 7

What kind of decoratiosn are you trying to use that icing for?

It's too thin to do roses with straight from the can. And if you want, you can thicken it with confectioners sugar.

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 7

Trying to steady my hand with doing borders/ruffles, leaves, drop flowers, dots, stars. Was going to attempt a rose but the icing was too thin (thanks for the tip on using powdered sugar).

Does using a thicker/washable bag help at all with keeping the frosting thicker?

I was also having trouble with keeping my "dots" from having the little point at the top after you pull the tip away.

Thanks for your reply!

pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 7

I don't think the thickness of the bag makes much of a difference.

As for the dots - when you're finished making the dot, stop squeezing the bag while the tip is still in the dot, then swirl the tip out of the dot (I hope that makes since). it should help keep from getting the point on the dot.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 7

Maybe you should try making your own icing to get the consistency you want. Sometimes on hot days...or if my hands are just hot...I put my icing in the icebox for a little bit before I pipe my borders. But I always make my own icing and do not have this problem. icon_smile.gif
traci

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 2:01am
post #6 of 7

I use parchment paper bags...it doesn't seem to transfer the heat of your hands so fast. Or I will make 2 bags of icing and keep rotating them from the fridge.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 30 Jul 2005 , 12:35am
post #7 of 7

My hands tend to melt my icing quickly too. I've found that using small amounts of icing at a time in the bag helps. I also keep a bowl of ice at the table with me to put the bags in when I'm not holding them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%