Hdi Make My Buttercream Smooth?

Decorating By lindsaybee Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 9:20pm by Melvira

lindsaybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaybee Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 3:56am
post #1 of 11

I can never seem to smooth out my buttercream. Any suggestions?

10 replies
Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:07am
post #2 of 11

I had the same problem with my buttercream. Last night I used the viva towel method, and I can't believe how smooth my icing was. It reminded me of fondant, and I didn't have to put as much work into it. I used a piece of Viva paper towel and rubbed it over my buttercream after it crusted. I use the paper towel like I would a fondant smoother. I cupped my hand and rubbed the paper towel all over my cake. I will definitely use that method again. Here is my cake using the paper towel method. Also I've used a hot spatula (dip the spatula in boiling water) on my buttercream. That works, too.
LL

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:10am
post #3 of 11

Oophs! My picture didn't appear. Look in my photos, and you will see the bridal shower cake. I hope my hints will help you smooth out that icing.

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:22am
post #4 of 11

Viva paper towel with a fondant smoother HANDS DOWN! I truggled for years with ugly (I mean that) BC I got a roll of those and whipped out my fondant smoother and Voila! Smooth icing! Now if I can just keep my arms out of them, I'll be good!

Elle

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:29am
post #5 of 11

http://cakecentral.com/article83-Quick--Easy-Smooth-Icing-Using-a-Roller-Melvira-Method.html

Honestly, it works as well as the Viva method, but a ton faster. You can even use it WITH a Viva towel! Give it a try!! icon_wink.gif Good luck!

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:30am
post #6 of 11

I swear by the Melvira method.... (high density paint rollers on crusted bc) I have also used waxed paper, just be sure it isn't wrinkled.

chefcindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefcindy Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:31am
post #7 of 11

hee hee hee... we posted at the same time... I bow to you Melvira!!!

Melvira Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:33am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcindy

hee hee hee... we posted at the same time... I bow to you Melvira!!!

icon_biggrin.gif Not if I bow to you first!! Thanks for your vote of confidence! Always happy to hear it!

lindsaybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaybee Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone!!! I will definitely try these tips out!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 8:15pm
post #10 of 11

I just have to chime in on the Melvira method.

I made my sister's wedding cake last month. When I left to go to the rehearsal, it was finished, but I hadn't placed the top tier on yet- it was sitting on the table. When I came back later, there was a big "gash" in the icing on top. Someone accidentally hit it with a tray or something. Everyone else was freaking out, but I just whipped out my high density roller and smoothed it right out again- it was perfect!!

Yay Melvira!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 11

albumangel... that rules!!! And I bet it knocked everyone's socks off, how calm you were and just did a quick fix!! Kudos to you for showing 'em what a gal with skills can do!! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%