Urgently And Desperately Need Your Opinion

Decorating By Relznik Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 9:37am by Verina

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 23

This cake has put me through the ringer (emotionally speaking).

I've had to recover the five. I've added decorations, removed decorations. It's a long story, which I promise to write up on the 'disaster' forum in the next day or so.

But in the meantime.....

1. Do I pipe around the top of the zero, so it matches the five? I HAD to do the five, because it hides where the sugarpaste meets when I covered the sides first, then the top. But the zero was obviously done in one piece. So, do I do it just to match them up?

2. Do I pipe around the edible image in the middle of the zero? If yes, do I paint it gold to match the inscription or do I leave it wihte?

3. Does the rose look OK there? I'm just about to add a couple of gold leaves (but it's not secured on the cake yet!)

4. Anything else??????????

Thank you.

Suzanne x
LL

22 replies
dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 23

1. Do I pipe around the top of the zero, so it matches the five? I HAD to do the five, because it hides where the sugarpaste meets when I covered the sides first, then the top. But the zero was obviously done in one piece. So, do I do it just to match them up?

if i were doing it I would make it match, but then again I am no expert lol

2. Do I pipe around the edible image in the middle of the zero? If yes, do I paint it gold to match the inscription or do I leave it wihte?

not sure about this one

3. Does the rose look OK there? I'm just about to add a couple of gold leaves (but it's not secured on the cake yet!)

I like the rose and I think some gold leaves will make it look really nice

4. Anything else??????????

reesesob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reesesob Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 23

I would pipe the top edge arount the zero. Other then that it looks FABULOUS!

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 23

I'm with everyone else, pipe around the 0. I love the rose! The cake is absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!

Elle

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 23

Yes pipe around the image & the outer edge of the zero. Add your gold leafs and that is all you need. Simple & elegant is best thumbs_up.gif

jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 23

I would pipe around the zero and the picture. I would leave the piping around the picture white. The rose looks great and the leaves will make it even better! This is a beautiful cake.

diamond008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamond008 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 23

I would pipe around the "O" and maybe pipe around the image with the same piping. It looks great.............You should be proud of your work.....
No more stressing..............

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 23

i say pipe around the 0 and the image. rose looks great! they are going to really love it....relax! i wish i could do something this neat!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 23

Yes.. pipe around the border of the zero and the image and leave them both white white it will flow better that way. The rose looks great where it is and the leaves will make it pop more. After that.. walk away and leave it alone.. icon_wink.gif

It looks great!

Tide89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tide89 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm
post #10 of 23

I would pipe around the zero and add some leaves, but other than that ....just incredible! Your fondant is so smooth and pretty! Great job!!!

zenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zenu Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:43pm
post #11 of 23

I also agree with everyone. Pipe around the zero.
I looked at your photos and all your cakes are amazing!

You piped your "30" cake so the numbers match and it looks great. I imagine it will look great for the "50" also. icon_smile.gif

simply-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simply-cakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:55pm
post #12 of 23

I agree with everyone else...Pipe around the zero and pic to match the five and add a few gold leaves. You are doing a great job. The cake is beautiful!!

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:58pm
post #13 of 23

I agree with everyone else, pipe around with a 0 and add the gold leaves to the rose. Beautiful cake.

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 23

I agree with everyone, pipe the 0 and around the photo. Rose looks awesome and gold leaves would look incredible with it.

What a gorgeous cake!!

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 23

I think you should pipe around the zero to match with the five. I also think it would be a nice look to pipe around the picture, to kinda "frame it." Maybe use the same piping around the picture that you use around the numbers? and paint the "picture frame" gold! Relax the cake looks great! thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:16pm
post #16 of 23

Try this first -

Just pipe around the picture, and see how you like it, first. I think piping around the edge of the zero would take away from the softness of the edge.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MelZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelZ Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:22pm
post #17 of 23

You'v done a beautiful job! I agree with everyone else: Pipe the top edge of the 0 and around the photo; leave it white. Add your gold leaves to your rose and your done. It's an awesome cake! WTG! thumbs_up.gif

Relznik Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:26pm
post #18 of 23

Thank you for all your replies.

It's done! I'm happy.

My husband is not talking to me, due to:

1. the mess in the kitchen
2. the amount of emotion, stress & tears that's gone into this cake
3. the amount of time this cake has taken

It was originally an order for family friends. We're invited to the party tomorrow night.

They stated on the invitations 'no gifts please - but if you'd like to make a donation, we've nominated Breakthrough Breast Cancer as our charity of choice'.

So I said that I would make the cake as their gift. Although I would have charged over £100 for this cake (they're both rich fruit cakes) there's no way it's cost me that much to make it.

In hindsight, I'd have been better charging her the £100 and giving half to charity! At least I would still have been ahead by a few pounds!

I'm going to tidy up now, but I PROMISE to post a picture of the cake tomorrow.

Good night and G-d bless!

Suzanne x

CraftyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraftyMJ Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 11:49pm
post #19 of 23

Congratulations on completing the cake. I'm sure your friends will love it. It's a lovely gesture on your part and you should be very proud of your design.

Relznik Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 11:31pm
post #20 of 23

As promised, here's a link to the picture.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1018663

They absolutely LOVED it.

And I must admit that I was finally pleased with how it turned out.

Tomorrow, I'm going to write up the whole story!

Thanks again for help!

Suzanne x

AuntieElle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntieElle Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:17am
post #21 of 23

GORGEOUS!!!! It turned out perfectly!

Elle

dupart30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dupart30 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:58am
post #22 of 23

wow, you did a great job. it is beautiful

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:37am
post #23 of 23

I think it is just beautiful. Elegant and pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%