Do You Buy Your Icing...where? Please Help!!!

Decorating By swim Updated 23 Sep 2007 , 12:01am by tcturtleshell

swim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swim Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 36

My business partner and I are starting a cake business and right now it is just word of mouth and we are soooo busy. Icing is a huge problem for us. I was just wondering if anyone bought icing that had a good buttercream flavor? If you do buy your icing would you please care to share?! Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

35 replies
nmrunyon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmrunyon Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 36

We purchase our buttercream from Dawn Food Products. We live in Ohio and I think they deliver to Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. I am not sure if they ship products. It is great tasting (better then I can make). They also have chocolate buttercream, a chocolate fudge icing and whipped icing. Let me know if you need more info.

Nichole

sheila06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheila06 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 36

I also get mine from Dawn (I get other products from them and you have to buy $500 worth, other than that I would probably get it at Sam's) but when I'm running short I get it at Sam's...it is a little cheaper at Sam's and tastes good to.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 36

I have pretty much completely switched to the Sam's BC icing. It has a good taste and is even better if you add flavoring! I love to experiment with it! It has always smoothed well for me and is very convenient to have on hand for impromptu cakes icon_biggrin.gif
It is also a good deal money wise!

sjbeatty8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjbeatty8 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 36

For those of you that buy Sams BC... How does it Crust in comparison to some of the others?? also what consistancy does it come in???

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 36

I only use Sam's BCI now too. Talk about saving time & everyone loves the taste. In the past I'd have to go ask the bakery for a 29 lb bucket but they now have them out on the tables in the bakery for customers convience! Then to my surprise they even have colored icing! 8 lbs for $9.48 you can't beat that. thumbs_up.gif I bought some blue! Gosh, I'm sooo lazy these days, but I really don't have time to make the icing. I love Sam's. thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 36

It comes in about medium consistency. It's crusts very well & so easy to smooth. I also add flavoring to it, but not always. I like adding Lorianna's champagne flavoring. Gosh, it's good! Before I use it I put it in my KA mixer & mix on low for a few minutes. I have added milk, water, or creamer to thin it out some. I think you'll like it if you try it icon_smile.gif

ahilton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahilton Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:17am
post #8 of 36

I am used to the taste/texture of the homemade buttercream and personally do not care at all for the taste of the Sam's/WalMart brand of buttercream. Does anyone know of any other brand that has the "homemade taste" that we have all come to know and love?

I've heard that Brill and Dawn Foods make nice products, but can't get a call-back from anyone in their sales departments.

Any advice would be welcome by me also!!

ahilton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahilton Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 1:30pm
post #9 of 36

I am used to the taste/texture of the homemade buttercream and personally do not care at all for the taste of the Sam's/WalMart brand of buttercream. Does anyone know of any other brand that has the "homemade taste" that we have all come to know and love?

I've heard that Brill and Dawn Foods make nice products, but can't get a call-back from anyone in their sales departments.

Any advice would be welcome by me also!!

mlrich25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlrich25 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:19am
post #10 of 36

I used the Sam's BC last time I made cakes and it turned out great. I was nervous about it crusting but it worked out perfectly and tasted good too. I didn't think to add any flavors to it... what flavors have you added? Also, the container says it will keep for a couple of months. I ended up throwing mine out. Has anyone kept it that long??

heyjude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjude Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:55am
post #11 of 36

I work in a grocery store bakery, and we use Brill icings. The icing tastes really good, it smooths nicely, but it doesn't really crust. It does a tee bit. The red, blue, and pink icings are ultra-bitter. That's my only complaint about it.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:57am
post #12 of 36

How many cakes will 8 pds cover? (of the Sam's or whatever brand)

jeffer01 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:39am
post #13 of 36

I bought the big bucket of Sam's icing (26 or 28 pounds, can't remember) and I have iced a 9x13 layered cake, about 3 mini layer cakes (4inch rounds) and about 3 8" layer cakes and still have over 1/2 a bucket of icing!! There is so much icing and it is so easy to whip up with almond, vanilla, cheesecake, or any other flavoring...or just plain icon_wink.gif .

I know not everyone from CC likes it, but it has been a lifesaver for me in time and money. Especially with practice cakes!

wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:52am
post #14 of 36

Hey Jeffer01 how much does it cost and do I need to special order it (I get so tired of making frosting late at night! icon_sad.gif lazy I know...)

tcturtleshell Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:06am
post #15 of 36

It's only $26 a 29 lbs bucket wgoat. I can do a 3 tier wedding cake 8,12,16 & a 3 tier groom's cake same size & do all the decorating (piping) on it & still have left over icing. A little more the 1/4 of the bucket left. I close the bucket up & store it in the pantry. It should have the experation date on the top. I just bought a bucket & it said good till Dec 2007. I did have one problem that I noticed over the weekend with my wedding cake. When I was setting the cake up I noticed a few spots on the cake. It looked like grease spots. Noone but me saw them but they were there. thumbsdown.gif I think I didn't mix the icing up enough before using it. The oil goes to the bottom of the bucket so you have to mix really good. Next time I'll stir the bucket up & then add to KA to mix~ icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:17am
post #16 of 36

Thanks a lot for the info!!! I will have to look into it. We don't have a Sam's close that has a bakery but there is one in the next city. I'd probably use my own icing when I have time and then those last minute cakes I could use the Sam's.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:47am
post #17 of 36

Dixie's Finest Whipped Icing...FANTASTIC! Long shelf life (6 months, or 12 months if refrigerated), tastes wonderful, easy to decorate with, never had a problem with colors bleeding, and I've had people order cakes simply because they know I use her icing. She even tints her icing if you want, so you won't have to ever mix up red or black icing again!

jeffer01 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 8:44pm
post #18 of 36

Thanks for that tip tcturtleshell! I will start paying a little more attention when I am stirring. I have just been pulling from my bucket and plopping into the KA, but I will start watching now!

Mine is a 28 pound bucket and was $26.00 and I went over to the bakery and asked for the bucket. The lady asked what color and flavor!!! It was wonderful. She has smaller buckets of colors (she said she had 8 pounds for colors) and then the white or chocolate BC in the 28 pounds. She also had the whipped icing!!! I'm telling you it is wonderful and easy!!!!

wgoat5 - I am with you on the late night frosting, it was killing me! Give it a try thumbs_up.gif

jbart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jbart Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 8:58pm
post #19 of 36

I use sams icing and I really like it but I would like to try some flavoring in it. What should I use and how much should I use.Thanks Karla

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:11pm
post #20 of 36

I haven't seen the BC out for customers to buy at the Sam's near me - so if that's the case, do you put in a special order for it with their bakery department?

Also had a question and emulsions and flavorings - I recently bought Creme Bouquet, Creme Royal, Buttery Sweet Dough, and Butavan. I haven't used any of them yet - and then I saw the thread about the Wedding Bouquet - so I'll have to try that. My question was how much emulsion? I want subtle flavor, just enough where people know there's a difference, but don't know what.

Also, about the Lorianne flavorings - extracts, correct? Oils are for candy?

I bought some Choco Pan, and my local person has the Prentice (sp) Fondant - was wondering about that too?

Thanks for the help in advance.

jbart Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:18pm
post #21 of 36

mimiford where do you live in oklahoma? The Sams on 71st st in tulsa has it on a shelf by the bakery

carolina1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolina1026 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:01pm
post #22 of 36

Hi,
Im kinda new to this site, were or what is Sam, I look at a lot of people writing about how good the frosting is, were can I buy some?
I live in San Jose California,
if this buttercream is good let me know

thanks

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:47pm
post #23 of 36

Thanks jbart - I'll have to remember that the next time I'm in T-town - I'm just 2 hours away.

jbart Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:46am
post #24 of 36

mimiford I am sure that any sams can sell it to you just ask if you don't see it.

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 2:36am
post #25 of 36

Your welcome jeffer01, thanks to you for the tip about the chocolate! I didn't know they sold that! I learn something new everyday! icon_smile.gif I'd love to buy the whipped but I have no where to store it. icon_sad.gif

Sam's is Walmart store. Sam Walton the owner of Walmart owns that too. The store sells in bulk.

I'll try & answer some questions...

When I use Lorianne flavorings I use 1 1/2 teaspoons to a 5 qt KA bowl full of BCI (I guess that's about 7 cups of BCI). Yes, extracts food, oil candy.

I've never used butavan but I think it's about 1 teaspoon per 5 qts. It's very good that's for sure!! Ntertayneme uses it, her icing is excellent! You might want to PM her about it.

About the buckets at Sam's. I used to have to go to the bakery & ask for them but the last time I went to get some they were out on the shelves. It's really a great thing! Very convient!

jbart Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 3:15am
post #26 of 36

tcturtleshell Thank you for explaining the flavoring.

tcturtleshell Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 10:45am
post #27 of 36

You are welcome~ icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 12:43pm
post #28 of 36

Does anyone know if Costco sells icing in bulk....Here in Canada there is no Sams but we have Costco!!

wgoat5 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 3:53am
post #29 of 36

Butavan, you can sub your flavoring teaspoon to teaspoon, it's a butter vanilla emulsion and it is wonderful, but DO store it in the fridge, I didn't know that at first.

TC I got my first bucket of Sam's bc and not sure what to think of it...I DIDN"T take it out and put it in my mixer...I've already got the cake done that I used it on also. Will it be ok? (I have already iced and decorated I mean)

It doesn't taste like my homemade but I am sure it will taste totally different on the cake right?

icon_smile.gif

nefcook21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefcook21 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 4:17am
post #30 of 36

GeminiRJ--Where do you get Dixie's Icing and do they have it in regular b/c or just whipped? I too get tired of making icing! icon_sad.gif

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%