Has Anyone Done This Before?

Decorating By PurplePetunia Updated 24 Jul 2005 , 5:55pm by PurplePetunia

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 3:59am
post #1 of 6

Hi!
I need help!!
I'm doing a cake for a double birthday celebration. It's for about 125 people. The celebration will be a picnic in a local park. So it's not formal.
I'd like to do something like a large sheet cake and then have two small 8" cakes on tiers at either end of the sheet cake. Each 8" would be decorated according to the two people's personalities.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'd like to have an idea, or some feedback on how this might look? The 8" cakes could be either square or round.

I looked through the galleries, but couldn't really find anything quite like this.

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:14am
post #2 of 6

I think that would be a good idea and would be easy to transport to the picnic. I would go with a 3/4 sheet or full sheet cake...and the two 8 inch round cakes.
traci

PurplePetunia Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:35am
post #3 of 6

Thanks traci for your input. I like the round too.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that, in order for the two 8" cakes not to be squished together, I'd have to choose my sheet size carefully.
The two 8" cakes would take up about 16" of space therefore the 12x18 pan would be too small - I"d only have about 1" space between the two.
So I could do two 11x15's put together. That would give me a sheet that is 22x30. That would be more than enough space for the two to be beside each other without being squished.
I hope I'm explaining this right.

Oh, and one more thing, the two 8" cakes wouldn't be served. Those would be for the birthday boy and girl to take home (serious cake lovers).

Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:39am
post #4 of 6

I would put the 2 11x15 cake together to make a sheet. Make sure you use a sturdy cake board. I can't wait to see pics!
traci

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:51am
post #5 of 6

Putting 2, 11x15 cakes together would give you 22 by 15.. your 2 - 8" cakes should fit on that with some space between them .. you could put a cake plate w/some pillars on them and stand them side by side.. cut out a piece(s) of paper (tape together) to get the size of your cake then stand the 2 cake plates on pillars side by side to see how far of a space you'd have between them.

PurplePetunia Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 6

Oh my goodness!!! icon_redface.gif

You're right ntertayneme!! Pardon me, I posted that at around 12:30a.m!!
I really shouldn't plan a cake at that time!! icon_redface.gif

Okay, so the sheet would be 22x15. I'll have to try that out like you said, first, so that I can see how much space I'll have.

Thanks for pointing that out!! I'm so glad I asked for advice!!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%