Mooncup/keeper - Must Recommend To You All!

Lounge By emmascakes Updated 21 May 2011 , 10:05pm by Rhonlynn

emmascakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:32am
post #1 of 72

(apart from the men...)

http://www.keeper.com/

I've recently started using one of these and I can't recommend them highly enough. I get dreadful horrible periods and I can honestly say my last two (with the mooncup) have been so much less painful.

Moon cups:
better for the environment
cheaper in the long run
easy to use
less often need changing than other protection
can't feel them where they're in at all

I can't believe that I've been struggling on with other stuff for years. Please seriously think about trying one of these and if you have any questions please PM or post here, I'm really happy to answer any of you questions (no matter how gross!)

71 replies
mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 72

wow never heard of it!

mezzaluna Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 72

I've had my keeper for years. I save so much money not having to buy tampons/pads every month!

I read an article about how disposable diapers are one of the biggest environmental problems in the world, with pads/tampons up there on the list, and that prompted me to look for another alternative to disposable.

I am very anti-disposable.

mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 72

So do you really like using it, or is it just a sacrifice you are willing to make for the environment?

mezzaluna Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 72

I really like using it.

No worry about leaks/odor, and you can keep it in much longer than a tampon. You can't even feel it.

emmascakes Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 72

I really like using it too. It makes my periods hurt far less, I don't have to change it as often, I can't feel it when it's in and it's saving me money.

Hi Mezzaluna! Nice to 'meet' a fellow cupper. I too am very anti-disposable and would have used the cup even if it has been as annoying as tampons - but now I'm just so excited at how great it is!

mkerton Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 72

I am seriously thinking about buying one.....thanks for the information!

cakesbyjess Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:38am
post #8 of 72

Thank you so much Emma (and mezzaluna), for the great information. I have never been able to use tampons (hate the feeling of them, plus I always ended up wearing a pad along with the tampon!!! icon_cry.gif ), and I just hate wearing pads (I feel so gross, and like I'm wearing a diaper!!! icon_cry.gif ), but I never knew there were any other options. I'm going to order one!! Is one (Mooncup or Keeper) better than the other? I am not allergic to latex. I can't believe I'm actually thinking this, but I may actually look forward to my next period, just so I can try this!!!! (that just sounds crazy and sick, doesn't it?!?!?! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gificon_twisted.gif )

mitsel8 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:47am
post #9 of 72

Thanks Emma and mezzaluna!
And thanks to the internet I can do all the research I want. I've also been reading about the Diva cup, it sounds like the same thing.
I can't believe I've never heard of these and the questionable safety of tampons (dioxin and chlorine?) Of course always knew of Toxic Shock syndrome.
Thank you for enlightening me.
Leslie

AuntieElle Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:22am
post #10 of 72

Wow! Very interesting! Thanks Emma! I'm going to pass this along to all my friends as well!

Elle

emmascakes Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:26am
post #11 of 72

Hooray! I love it that you guys are being open to this. It's some kind of media conspiracy to make us feel ugly - all those whispered tampon/towel ads with blue ink and women prancing about looking gorgeous and being successful in hiding their period. Enough of that rant - please post and let us know how you get on with them!

The keeper is made of rubber and the mooncup is silicone, I don't think there's any other difference. The mooncup doesn't stay that clear colour - it discolours slightly to a creamy colour.

cakesbyjess Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:31am
post #12 of 72

I agree Emma!!! So you don't have to wear a pad along with the Mooncup? There's no leaking? Sorry if I'm being too graphic. I'm just so excited about the thought that I won't have to shell out sooooo much $$$$ for my super long pads with wings! And I can throw away those few pairs of "period underwear" that I wear during that time of the month!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

emmascakes Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:52am
post #13 of 72

No leaking at all. I forgot the underwear advantage - I can now wear decent underwear during my period and not have to worry about spoiling it!

cakesbyjess Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:11pm
post #14 of 72

Well, I'm definitely going to order one!!! I'm sold! Thanks so much!!!! thumbs_up.gif

cakes21 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:05pm
post #15 of 72

Oh wow, I have never heard of it. I will be telling all my friends about this one.

AuntieElle Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 72

I'm getting one for myself and my step-daughter. I will probably wear a panty liner for a while as I am a paranoid freak about the dreaded leaking! It happened to me in Jr. High and scarred me for life! I'm looking forward to no more "period panties"! Thanks again!

Elle

emmascakes Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #17 of 72

I did leak a few times while wearing it to start with as I hadn't got it in properly - you fold it in half to get it in and then wiggle it a bit and it opens out - I'd forgotten to do this so had leaked a bit round the outside. I really urge you all to try it - I think it's the biggest revolution for us women in a long while!

kbochick Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:15am
post #18 of 72

I have some friends who use the DivaCup and really like it but I'm kind of scared. Is it, um, messy when you take it out?

And TMI, but I cant wear tampons because they hurt. Do you think a cup would hurt, too?

cakesbyjess Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:06am
post #19 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbochick

I have some friends who use the DivaCup and really like it but I'm kind of scared. Is it, um, messy when you take it out?

And TMI, but I cant wear tampons because they hurt. Do you think a cup would hurt, too?

I was wondering about the "mess factor" when taking it out, too. icon_redface.gif

I'm the same way ... I also can't wear tampons because they hurt. I'm also curious if we'll have better luck (and comfort) with the cup.

emmascakes Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 72

I have worn tampons previously but have always been aware of them inside me and usually get fed up with them by day two and start using towels. I find the mooncup easy and painless to put it and a bit uncomfortable to get out (I have a very low discomfort threshold and I've never met anyone else who finds it uncomfortable to remove.) I genuinely can't feel it AT ALL once it's inside - which seems odd as it's wider than a tampon, I guess it just gets squashed or something.

As for the mess when you take it out. It doesn't spill or anything when you're removing it. It's usually about half full when I take it out. I pour the blood down the sink and rinse it out. If I'm in a loo without a sink I tip it down the sink and wipe it with toilet paper or pour a little water from a bottle on it. I don't find it at all gross but some squeamish women might do - I can't see hoe it's any more gross than blowing your nose or having a wee.

sweetness_221 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:57am
post #21 of 72

Ok I have a question about this. I have a very heavy cycle. (heavy flow, clotting) I know I know TMI. Would this still be something that I could use even with my heavy flow? I would give anything to stop wearing the overnights pads.

Auryn Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm
post #22 of 72

wow
so glad I read this

emma, have you traveled with it on??
Theres few things i hate more than having to travel while on my period.

emmascakes Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:50pm
post #23 of 72

Auryn - not sure what you mean by 'travelling' - I've driven in it for long distances. Given that I don't have to change it very often - it's great as I can often wait until I'm in a nice home before having to fiddle about.

I have a heavy flow and I've found it to be fine. It holds about an egg cup worth of blood so that's more than a tampon generally. It's got to be better than a pad as that's just grim.

Auryn Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #24 of 72

Traveling as in long car rides or flights
I take several 10+ hr flights a year so theres a lot of sitting time.

Just wondering if it gets uncomfortable
but oyu kind of answered that icon_smile.gif

emmascakes Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:17pm
post #25 of 72

You just can't feel it at all so there's no way you'd get uncomfortable. To be honest I often forget it's in and need to remind myself!

ShortcakesSweets Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 4:06am
post #26 of 72

I think everyone should consult their OB/GYNs before trying something like this.

mkerton Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 4:48am
post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortcakesSweets

I think everyone should consult their OB/GYNs before trying something like this.

as opposed to tampons? I didnt consult him/her then? Also from everything I have read both on the mooncup website and the divacup website, they are FDA approved.

Am I missing something?

emmascakes Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:43am
post #28 of 72

Consult a gynae?

Oh for goodness sakes - how ridiculous. SHould we all consult a gynae before inserting a tampon? finger? penis? Why ARE some women so afraid of their own vagina? This kind of squeamish attitude is partly why women can be so ignorant of their own bodies. I'm so mad!!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:09pm
post #29 of 72

What about cleaning these things? Are there any special instructions as for the cleaning? It seems like it could be unhealthy if it wasn't cleaned properly from month to month. I didnt see anything on the website about it, so maybe that's not a concern?? Anyone who uses it, do you know?

For the person who said to ask the obgyn, I would too. Not because I'm afraid of my own body, but because some people react differently to different things. Just like some of you have said tampons are uncomfortable...for most people they arent, and they arent supposed to be. So, everyone is different. (And also, just bc something is FDA approved doesnt always make it safe <hence, all the drug recalls all the time>...your OB could know something about it that you dont, studies going on about it and whatnot. Just a thought!)

snowboarder Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 6:45pm
post #30 of 72

Years ago, I wore a cervical cap for birth control. It's smaller than the moon cup but I used to wear it during my period for all the same reasons Emma has pointed out for the moon cup. I loved wearing it. I am an extremely active person and I never had to worry about it falling out or leaking or anything like that. At the time I was training for marathons and I was running a lot and far and I never had a worry. So much better than tampons. I washed it regularly with a very mild soap and water.

Don't be afraid of your vagina! icon_biggrin.gif

edited to add: LadyDZA- I soap & watered my cap every evening and every morning when I was rinising it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%