Teacher, Teacher, I Declare...

Decorating By FrostinGal Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 10:32pm by CelebrationsbyLori

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:07am
post #1 of 16

...I don't know what the heck I'm doing?!
Some friends at work were asking for an informal cake decorating lesson. I sent out an email to my coworkers to get some possible dates nailed down. ALL THREE DATES FILLED UP!!! So I'm teaching basic cake decorating classes this month and next.
The first is tomorrow and I'm getting rather nervous about this. Each person has invested money in materials and time to bake their cake and make their icing.
Any tips from any instructors? I did a paper with a list of things they'd need, info about 40% off Michaels coupons, a basic decorator buttercream recipe and a basic doctored cake mix, with basic baking information.
I also have copies of the 4H decorating ebook to give them tomorrow, as well as a class outline for me to follow. I'll be doing a cake along with them to show them how to do it. We'll eat my cake and they can take theirs home. I bought boxes for each person to take their cake home.
I'm as prepared as I can get, but getting rather nervous. And I'm not usually a nervous person.
Words of wisdom most welcome, now!

15 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #2 of 16

You sound pretty darn prepared, actually. One tip I actually taught my wilton instructor was the upside down technique for perfectly smooth icing. She was so impressed with my icing job and I told her my secret. That's one of my most favorite things learned at CC and would be a valuable tip for beginning decorators. Don't be nervous, have fun and enjoy! My MIL informed me she plans on me putting on a cookie decorating class for her and my SIL near the holidays. Funny. It should be fun.

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:53am
post #3 of 16

I have taught a few classes to high schoolers, their favorite was the melvira method, frozen buttercream transfers and roses done the duff way.

Heather

gilpnh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilpnh Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 2:53am
post #4 of 16

I have taught a few classes to high schoolers, their favorite was the melvira method, frozen buttercream transfers and roses done the duff way.

Heather

FrostinGal Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:19am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanahodgson

My MIL informed me she plans on me putting on a cookie decorating class for her and my SIL near the holidays. Funny. It should be fun.

No stress, no stress at all! LOL
Thanks for the tips, ladies! Mom said since I'm not charging for the class, they can't be too upset if it isn't any good. icon_surprised.gif Thanks, mom...I think.
At the very least, they will all understand how much work goes into a decorated cake and will, hopefully, take that into consideration when asking for cakes.
Oooooh, Duff's roses are a great idea!

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 4:56am
post #6 of 16

What exactly is the upside down technique for perfectly smooth icing?

alittlesliceofhaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alittlesliceofhaven Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:16am
post #7 of 16

If they have not paid anything for the class and this is a first time class for them, don't go overboard with trying to cram too much in for an alotted time frame. Give them things they will remember and can use.

* Tips on how to tort and fill
* How to make smooth looking cakes (Melvira or hot knife since not everyone will have a rotating cake stand or a round cake)
* How to fill bags & change tips (how to put a parchment bag together if that is what you are
using)
* one or two basic boarders (smaller at top and larger at base near board
* How to cover a cake board
* How to mix colors and test consistency

Those will get you through a couple of hours. It sounds like you have given them a lot ahead of time. You are very kind to buy them boxes.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

FrostinGal Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:25am
post #8 of 16

Here you go, Shortcakes: http://www.cakecentral.com/article6-Upside-Down-Icing-Technique-for-Perfectly-Smooth-Icing.html It's really rather genius!

Thanks, alittlesliceofheaven. I'll try to really stick to the basics. I'm even debating whether to teach BC roses. Some of them are already talking about our "next" class together! icon_eek.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:26am
post #9 of 16

I have one BIG suggestion: HAVE FUN!
and try to help them have fun and not be self-critical (like we all are anyway)...
also remember, cake decorating is one of the few hobbies where you can eat your mistakes icon_wink.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:57am
post #10 of 16

Ummm......what's this about Duff's method for roses????

Can anyone fill me in on this one? Please????

Kristine

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:44pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for the link, Frostingal. I don't know how I missed seeing that as much as I'm on this site. That is just an amazing technique.

JENNSCAKES90909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JENNSCAKES90909 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 16

[quote="gilpnh"]I have taught a few classes to high schoolers, their favorite was the melvira method, frozen buttercream transfers and roses done the duff way.

Gilpnh what is the duff way, I have never heard of it before.

Just be patient dear , it will come together for you . I taught a choc class once I was so nervous I actually missed the day of work because of it. You do it so often that once you begin it will come to you. Have fun while you are doing it.

JENNSCAKES90909 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JENNSCAKES90909 Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 16

Sorry my eyes didnt see the link first.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:42am
post #14 of 16

Make sure you show them how to hold the bag...that was the hard part for me...

What is the Duff way for roses???

FrostinGal Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:51am
post #15 of 16

Thank you everyone, for your support!! Class was great, we relaxed, had fun and made some cake! Next time, I'd like to spend more time on piping. Everyone wants to have another class to learn more! I'm so proud of my students! We took photos of everyone with their cakes and everything!
I did learn one thing, beginners need more frosting. Next time, I'll have them make a quadruple batch of icing!
The Duff way of making roses is he cuts circles from fondant and lines them up, overlapping. Then he rolls up the line of circles. It was on the episode where the Girl Scouts came to the bakery.
We didn't get to roses, but we did do rosebuds. And we had fun with my imprint sets!
I did warn them that cake decorating can be addicting. I pointed out my large shelving unit filled with pans and hardware, plus my two plastic storage boxes filled with more things, my shelf on the pantry with ingredients and stuff, plus my two toolboxes! icon_eek.gif

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:32pm
post #16 of 16

Of course everything went great, we all knew it would! I would suggest calling this a class preview and charging something for upcoming sessions. You are supplying boxes, etc out of your own pocket aside from your time and expertise, even if it's just $5 per session it would be something. Not to mention are they coming to your home? You need some compensation for the cleaning and preparation for that! JMO -Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%