Totally Freaking Out!

Decorating By tporbz Updated 8 Nov 2006 , 4:22am by mrssnider

tporbz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tporbz Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone, I finally got my first big order and now I'm almost peeing in my pants. It's a safari theme party and I've been asked to make a cake to compliment the theme.

Problem: I can't mold the animals to go on it (cos I do not know how), so should I use plastic animals? Or should I have a go? The party planner's a friend of mine and her cakes are EXCELLENT, which make me even more nervous. icon_cry.gif

Help!!!

18 replies
noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 19

I would buy little animals, I wouldn't risk molding them if you don't know how. You can still make the cake look great even if the animals aren't edible! You could have broen sugar for sand, have some palm trees with a little monkey swinging in there..

flytrap77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flytrap77 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 19

Could you pipe them with BC? Do a search in the gallery for safari or animals. I am sure you will find lots of inspiration!

HTH, Kat

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 19

I am pretty new to all of this too...But, Wilton has that safari animal looking cake on their yearbook..maybe you can use their instructions as a guide?? Not really sure if this helps you or not...Sorry.

christy_ob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christy_ob Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 19

Deep breaths....whew. You do have some time for this right? Why not cruise through the gallery? There are a lot of great ideas. Are there any specific parameters you need to meet? I did a Jungle party once and make the cake of just a crocodile. Not sure if you need to include all the safari animals or no.

Have you ever played with MMF? If you have enough time to practice with before the cake is due, I'd encourage it. It's very fun and the kids will love eating it. Its not too hard either to make animals especially if you aren't going to for the terribly realistic look.

Good luck and again take some deep breaths. Smile, this is cake decorating, its fun!

--Christy O.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 19

I like to make a simple sketch of the cake and have it approved by the person the cake is for. Make sure they are ok with the plastic animals before you go forward. Making palm trees using pretzels sticks with piped leaves looks cute and I use crushed vanilla wafers rather than sugar for the sand.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 19

Don't get your knickers in a twist over this one. We are here to help.

Get some candy molds and some colored candy melts. Paint the details onto the mold with some melted candy and a soft brush. Allow to cool completely, then fill with the background color.

Alternately, go to the craft store and get a book on clay animals. Make chocolate clay (see recipe section) using colored candy melts in lieu of the chocolate. Paint with melted chocolate as needed.

Then kick back, relax, check your undies, and call it a day.

And don't forget to send us pictures!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 19

if you want to try molding the animals- do a search for sculpy or primo clay- its the same shapes and then do it with fondant- i just did a baby and it was no where near as bad as i figured it would be- also i have a book called the essential cake decorating guide by thunderbay press and it has step by step safari animals and a safari cake.if you can get your hands on it ( ive seen it on e-bay cheap)

but... i dont think there is anything w2rong with buying the animals- do what you are comfortable with!!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 19

Firstly search here always great for inspiration secondly I would forget plastic animals and thirdly if she is so good why has she asked you.....if she is capable. Not being rude just curious.... I would never every dream of asking someone else...

tporbz Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:04pm
post #10 of 19

I swear this place is magical. I can feel myself de-stressing just reading your posts! In fact, I feel my knickers untwisting already .. lol

Thanks. I'm going to try my hand at molding this evening, and if all is not well by Friday, I shall take myself off to Toys'r'us for some plastic ones. She did say plastic animals were fine, but I want to try my hand at molding cos I know the party planner is going to do a cake for her as a freebie and she will definitely have molded animals on that!

My word, don't I sound competitive!

tporbz Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAnn

Firstly search here always great for inspiration secondly I would forget plastic animals and thirdly if she is so good why has she asked you.....if she is capable. Not being rude just curious.... I would never every dream of asking someone else...

I haven't made myself clear (sorry). My friend hasn't asked me, the mom has. She didn't want to order a cake from the party planner cos her cakes are out of the lady's price range (so she said).

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #12 of 19

If they're okay with plastic you may want to go that route and then you can really concentrate on making the cake and background design superb!!

I once made royal icing animals that came out well!! I did it like a transfer and put wax paper down over a plate that my daughter had and copied them.

Did the same with the palm trees... pretzel sticks and then "glued" royal icing leaves onto the top, which I piped over a small ball to give them a curved look over the trunk.

good luck and have fun!!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:18pm
post #13 of 19

The 2006 Wilton Cake Decorating Book had some really cute animals on the cover. They looked pretty easy to make.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 19

The book Figure Piping Ideas for Cupcakes and Larger Cakes has some wonderful and easy to follow instructions for making piped animals. I used his instructions for my monkey cookies:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/59041/cl_cookie.jpg

Give modeling or piping a try before you resort to plastic, I'd say. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, and will have a lot of fun!

doleta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doleta Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 19

Go to the store and buy some Attends..take a deep breath...you'll do fine!I can't wait to see the picture.

tporbz Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:39pm
post #16 of 19

Thank you all soo much. I get on to it tomorrow, and I'll post pics of the cake on this thread.

leigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leigh Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 10:02pm
post #17 of 19

Try finding coloring book pics of animals & then using choc. candy melts, tape wax paper over them & pipe inside the lines. I also used cookies for bears & leopards. Palm trees out of pretzel rods with friut roll ups for leaves (sour apple) As long as your willing to try I'm sure any of the ideas you get here will help & you will be proud of the outcome. Good Luck! I don't know how to put a link in here for my jungle cake but I guess you can just click on "my photos" & see it. Also as someone else mentioned just type in your search in the gallery here at CC
Leigh-Anne

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:12am
post #18 of 19

The whimsical bakehouse has a fantastic jungle theme cake in it and they did it using chocolate transfers. : )

You will totally impress with this cake, it's amazing and it's totally something you could do. : )

Chocolate transfers are the way to go!! : )

mrssnider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrssnider Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:22am
post #19 of 19

There's a really cute jungle cake on the Wilton Website. It is under web only projects or something. I think it is so cute I'm going to make it for my son's first birthday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%