Would You Sell A Cake On Ebay????

Decorating By qtkaylassweets Updated 7 Nov 2006 , 1:22pm by stephanie214

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:31am
post #1 of 60

I was looking on ebay and I came across this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=9500791252&rd=1&rd=1

I really do not know what to think about this. I was actually kind of shocked when I saw it!

59 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:44am
post #2 of 60

Well, it's not the first time I've seen someone sell a cake on eBay. In fact, I think one of our members did just that. But take a good, long look at that cake. That picture is going into my You Gotta Be Kidding Cakes file. That is the file I have for cakes I have seen pictures of that I would be embarrassed to try and give or sell to someone.

It is not level, and the workmanship is poor. Whoever did this cake has a lot of nerve trying to offer it to the public. The quality of this cake is why home bakers often have a bad reputation.

Shame on her!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:49am
post #3 of 60

Well, I am glad I am not the only one that could not believe what I was looking at!
Did you see the price??!!!

And, look down at the part where it talks about delivery. Some nerve telling people they are out of luck!!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:54am
post #5 of 60

They have an entire store full of listings. They have sold some stuff and had some good feedback.....go figure.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:56am
post #6 of 60

As a second note I am suprised Ebay has not kicked her off since she is selling lisc. character items!

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:56am
post #7 of 60

Oh, no, it gets even better than that! Go to the seller's eBay store, and check out the Elmo cake; he looks like he's on crack cocaine. And Spiderman looks like he's giving you a nasty hand gesture.

$25 for delivery within 15 miles? Yeah, right. That's a $1.60 per mile. Even my old employer didn't reimburse us that much for mileage!

Gee, I almost hope they're a member, and see this message.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:59am
post #8 of 60

OMG!! How did I miss Elmo??? I needed a good laugh tonight!!!

Of course I had to check out spiderman!! Shame on him!!! icon_lol.gif

countrysidecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrysidecakes Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:03am
post #9 of 60

Sounds like a good idea but remember just like anything on ebay there has to be a certain level of customer responsibility. Sometimes you don't get what you paid for. I would not ever judge another persons work but this person who ever put this cake on I think I would have choose another cake picture. I would never never give 85 bucks for a cake that looked like this one the icing is not even smooth!! It is not my intention to get anyone miffed but this cake was NOT the best baby shower cake I had seen however it may taste amazing but since it is ebay you can't really taste it before you buy. Ebay could be great marketing idea for things that we can sell/ship royal icing flowers gum paste flower arrangements and such but not a whole cake unless it was a cheese cake that can be easily frozen then thawed just some thoughts.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:03am
post #10 of 60

Hey tmriga, the "nasty hand gesture" is cracking me up! Did ya'll see Sponge Bob? I think he needs a nose job. Is that how she gets around licensing issues? icon_lol.gif

How do you complain about someone like this? It's so blatant I can't believe it's actually on Ebay.

cakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerator Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:04am
post #11 of 60

ROFLMAO! this post is cracking me up!!

i CANNOT even imagine buying a cake that i planned to EAT from ebay! but thats just me.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:06am
post #12 of 60

On her feedback it's all positive because it's for mostly pre-made items that she jazzed up (Oreos and pretzels), or for molded chocolate. No cake feedback...maybe that's a good thing.... icon_confused.gif

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:07am
post #13 of 60

I am sorry if anyone reads this and gets upset. I am not one to talk bad about someone elses cakes since mine are not that great but I could not believe that someone would put themselves out there like that!!!

I did get a good laugh though! icon_lol.gif

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:13am
post #14 of 60

ok I was going to say something about spongebob but I WILL hold it to myself!
I quit!

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:22am
post #15 of 60

Poor Spongebob!

Now, about eBay issues with licensed images - this is unclear to me, as I know they allow the sale of collectible licensed images. I have no knowledge as to what course of action they can take with her.

Hey, Rezzycakes has an eBay store. Rezzycakes, are you out there? Can you answer this question?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:27am
post #16 of 60

And we're all worried about over pricing our cakes? I wish I could find the people that were willing to pay that much for a cake like that. sigh..... Does it actually show that she sold those cakes? I wonder if the cakes would be that fresh. hmmmm Isn't there a certain amount of time the auction has to stay open? Aren't quctions usually open 10 days? Maybe I'm all wrong here. But, according to my calculations, you could be getting a cake that is 2 weeks old! yikes! lol I'm sure I must be wrong.

qtkaylassweets you have the same birthday as my Mom! I love you already!

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:30am
post #17 of 60

i agree with everyone.. i acually feel a little embarressed for this person....its like people who go on idol and think they can sing.. but they can't..lol

kylie

playingwithsugar Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:31am
post #18 of 60

Sweetpeeps wrote:

Does it actually show that she sold those cakes?"

Maybe that's why there are 100 of them available.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:36am
post #19 of 60

85 dollars and 25 dollars delivery charge? for 10 to 15 miles?

FOR THAT CAKE? ugh. I"m raising my prices AGAIN..

lol

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:39am
post #20 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpeeps

And we're all worried about over pricing our cakes? I wish I could find the people that were willing to pay that much for a cake like that. sigh..... Does it actually show that she sold those cakes? I wonder if the cakes would be that fresh. hmmmm Isn't there a certain amount of time the auction has to stay open? Aren't quctions usually open 10 days? Maybe I'm all wrong here. But, according to my calculations, you could be getting a cake that is 2 weeks old! yikes! lol I'm sure I must be wrong.

qtkaylassweets you have the same birthday as my Mom! I love you already!

May 19 is a GREAT day!!! Well, not this year! (I turned 29 for the second time!)

Hey, a 10 day old cake.... oh yum!

It actually looks like that bear on the cake wants to get up and run!!!

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:41am
post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

85 dollars and 25 dollars delivery charge? for 10 to 15 miles?

FOR THAT CAKE? ugh. I"m raising my prices AGAIN..

lol

With that 85 bucks, she is telling you that you are out of luck if she does not deliver it for you!!! Not very good customer service!
Hey, can I talk to a supervisor!!! icon_lol.gif

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:42am
post #22 of 60

The link doesn't work... icon_sad.gif

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:47am
post #23 of 60

It says the cake serves 65. That's only $1.30 per serving. I agree the delivery cost is outrageous.
She also probably doesn't make it until someone orders it. I don't think it's too bad of an idea.

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:47am
post #24 of 60
qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:50am
post #25 of 60

I just notice something!! You can even get a "Strawberry Moose" in your cake!

Yum!

qtkaylassweets Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:51am
post #26 of 60

ok, that is not as funny as when I first read it!!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:52am
post #27 of 60

Hey all..
I stay away from licensed character stuff on ebay! The only thing I could find about this in the ebay guidelines was this:

Resale of copyrighted works
Under the copyright laws, the owner of a particular copy of a copyrighted work is generally entitled to resell the particular copy they own. For example, if you purchase a copy of a DVD movie, you are allowed to resell that particular DVD. Copyright protection prevents you from copying the DVD movie and reselling the copies. If you have licensed the right to use a particular copyrighted item, you should review the license and consult with your attorney to determine whether you can resell the item.

In otherwords... if you get busted, that's on you!

I think what she did to those characters is a crime in itself. Poor Spidey. Is that arthritis???

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:56am
post #28 of 60

[quote="Sweetpeeps"] hmmmm Isn't there a certain amount of time the auction has to stay open? Aren't quctions usually open 10 days? Maybe I'm all wrong here. But, according to my calculations, you could be getting a cake that is 2 weeks old! yikes! lol I'm sure I must be wrong.
quote]

If you sell in the "store" format, it just rolls over after 30 days. Then stays listed until you end the listing.

ShabbyChic_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShabbyChic_Confections Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:00am
post #29 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtkaylassweets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChic_Confections

The link doesn't work... icon_sad.gif

Try this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/Elmo-Face-Sesame-Street-Homemade-Birthday-Cakes_W0QQitemZ4471449518QQihZ001QQcategoryZ115720QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif I don't know why but I can see it, I get the message the page can not be displayed icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:01am
post #30 of 60

rezzycakes now I'm really confused. Are we talking a 30 day old cake? lol I hope it's fruit cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%