Putting Buttercream On A Dummy?

Decorating By nancys_world Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 8:30pm by marthajo1

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone done this? Do you do it the same as you would royal icing? If you've done ot have you had any problems as far as the display end of it? Does the buttercream stay in place like it would on a regular cake?
The bride wants to make the cake larger by adding a dummy.......

Thanks in advance

6 replies
ddmckinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddmckinney Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 7

I did this very thing 2 weeks ago, and it worked out wonderfully. I just iced the dummy like it was a cake. worked fine.

Good luck!

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 7

When you use a "dummy" do you just buy styrofoam and cut it to the correct size or do you use something else. I have to do this in a couple of weeks and am not sure how to go about it.
THANKS!

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 7

I would buy them premade much easier and cheaper. There was a thread on here the other day with good prices I usually get them from countrykitchens.

michellejohnson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellejohnson Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 7

Another place to get the dummies is from dallas-foam.com. They have very good prices!

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks. Based on the price of shipping at both those places it would be cheaper for me to just make the extra tier out of cake icon_sad.gif oh well. I will check that thread that was mentioned too.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 7

I just bought styrofoam to make my fair cake! It would have been SOOOO much cheaper to do real cake but--- i want it to last all week! icon_lol.gif I didn't get on the ball and order it so I bought it all at walmart! OUCH!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%