Anyone Who's Licensed?

Business By mommabuda Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 4:09pm by CelebrationsbyLori

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 14

Just wondering how it works when you bring a cake somewhere... do they ask for a license number or what? I'll be doing cakes for a grocery store and he said I could use his kitchen to do wedding cakes so I would have to use his licensing number, right? Would I need him along since it's his kitchen or how exactly would that work? Just curious, thanks!

13 replies
abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 14

I am unsure of your answer...here in Missouri we have to sell directly to the customer therefore maynot sell in s retail/grocery store setting..as the grocery store would by from us then they sell. I would check in your state for the requirements.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 14

I have never had anyone ask for my license # and I would think that the kitchen you are working out of would need to be what is licensed not necessarly the person (except for maybe the food handlers permit that my state require me and my employees to have) so I would think?? you would be ok. By the way congrats on the new job

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 14

Well I only sell directly to customers - I don't sell to grocery stores. I highly doubt that anyone would ever ask for your license number so I wouldn't even worry about that. Whoever's kitchen you're using needs to be licensed & that's pretty much all you need to worry about!

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 14

Sorry I didn't really clarify that, I'll be making cakes IN the grocery store, not actually selling them TO the grocery store... I'll be using their kitchen to make wedding cakes. I was just wondering how that's going to work when I deliver somewhere and they ask for our licensing info.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 14

Anytime I am catering or delivering a wedding cake to a facility I've never been in before, I always call them ahead of time to find out if they need a certificate of liability insurance from me and how they need it made out. (more prevalent with caterers than cake bakers). IF they need a copy of the health permit, they will tell me then. No one has ever stopped me at the door asking to see the license number. Most are more concerned that you are insured and they need that insurance certificate in their file.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 14

When I deliver, I always have a copy of my food license, my most current health inspection report and liability insurance with me. That way if I am asked, it is there. No disputing it. I don't think it is necessary, but, it isn't difficult to carry with me. Though, I've not been asked.
I would call ahead to the venue and ask what is required. So many are so lax and others want everything in order. Don't take a chance, know what is required before you get there.

indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 7:06pm
post #8 of 14

when you say you carry your insurance with you, do you have the blank certificates that you can fill out with their name so they are covered? I ask because my agent has to complete this certificate and fax it to them showing the facility as an insured. You having insurance does necessarily cover them unless they are specifically listed as an insured.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 14

Mine is also where I will have to contact my agent to get them to complete a certificate.

indydebi Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:19am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You having insurance does necessarily cover them unless they are specifically listed as an insured.

Correction: Should read "....does NOT necessarily cover them...."

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #11 of 14
Quote:

Quote:

You having insurance does necessarily cover them unless they are specifically listed as an insured.

Correction: Should read "....does NOT necessarily cover them...."

I knew what you were saying, lol. Guess my mind just put the not in there.

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:12am
post #12 of 14

You need to check with your state. Where I am, Minnesota, it is the business they license not the property.

So, I have a license and the restaurant I work in also has a license. We are both inspected, both have food handlers certificates and both have insurance.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:44pm
post #13 of 14

I was peeking at the laws in my county (which SUCK for home bakers) and it basically said "lets talk" if you want to use someone else's commercial kitchen. As in, they consider each situation individually. You may or may not need your own licence. Check with the governing body in your area for the rules. Here is the county health department. Where you live it may be the department of agriculture of some other agency.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:09pm
post #14 of 14

I guess I don't totally understand the situation. If you are working FOR the grocery store then you are an employee and it's the store's responsiblity to handle this kind of information. If you are just using their kitchen then you are essentially renting it (even if they aren't charging) and the responsibility falls to you to have insurance, etc which is going to vary state-to-state. I'm sure the store isn't going to know what you need so you are going to have to check with the state. -Lori

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%