Need Quick Advice On Wedding Cake For Tonight...see Pic

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 9 Sep 2007 , 4:33am by Sweetpeeps

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:24am
post #1 of 25

Hey all...I just finished the cake attached, and I really like it so far. It will have roses and gerberas added to it when finished on site tonight.

BUT I need to see what you guys think: Should I leave the ribbon on? --the color is actually not as bright and is a darker brown than what shows in the pic. OR should I pipe a bead border with the same deep brown, which is what I have in my original sketch for the bride. I don't think she'll care one way or the other, but I'm leaning toward the ribbon (maybe).

go
LL

24 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:35am
post #2 of 25

I'd leave the ribbon, I'd be more concerned with matching the brown of the fondant with a piped border! Besides, once the flowers are on there, you probably won't be seeing a great deal of border or ribbon! If you know the bride won't care, then ribbon it is!

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:41am
post #3 of 25

the ribbon adds contrast and breaks up the layers. very lovely cake btw, looking forward to seeing it topped with roses!
L x

ValH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValH Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 8:50am
post #4 of 25

If you're sure the bride won't care either way, I vote to keep the ribbon. Why change something that looks so good. thumbs_up.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 9:08am
post #5 of 25

WOW! That is very pretty... I wouldn't change a thing..... Please get us a pic of the final product..... Your scroll work is beautiful !

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 11:38am
post #6 of 25

It's beautiful with the ribbon. Please post a pic after you add the flowers on site.

Chef_Stef Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 25

Thanks you guys. I'm actually starting to lean toward the border (it would be the same color as the scroll work), because I remembered the flowers are shades of pink.

You don't think the ribbon would clash with pink flowers? There will only be flowers on top and some at each corner...

oy, still can't decide.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 25

I'm in the minority, I think the border would be better. I think the ribbon will fight with the flowers. The eye will not flow as easily from the cake to the flowers with the ribbon cutting it in the middle.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 25

I'd keep the ribbon, can't wait to see the flowers on the cake.

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 25

I would contact the Bride first and ask her opinion just to be on the safe side, after all it is her Wedding Cake and you know how those Brides can be. icon_rolleyes.gif I really like the ribbon myself.

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 25

I agree with the others...love the ribbon. I don't think it will clash with the flowers -- instead it will make them "pop" more.

Kim

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 25

I think I like the idea of the bead border. If it's the same color of the scroll work it'll match great and if that is what you original sketch was then I'd go with that.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 25

loving the ribbion....like everyone else i think it will just make the flowers pop!!!! this cake is so beautiful...nicely done......great job!!!!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 25

Adding one more thought.. think how elegant monochromatic is. If I were the bride, I wouldn't like the change, especially adding the extra color.

Chants :bead work:bead work: icon_biggrin.gif

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #15 of 25

I would say keep the ribbon...I think it looks very elegant.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:47pm
post #16 of 25

The ribbon looks very pretty, but I would opt for the bead border. I love a monochromatic look. icon_smile.gif

oaklanraiderdude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oaklanraiderdude Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

I'm in the minority, I think the border would be better. I think the ribbon will fight with the flowers. The eye will not flow as easily from the cake to the flowers with the ribbon cutting it in the middle.

I agree. The ribbon on its own w/o flowers would be beautiful, both together not so great. As Kansas stated it would interfere with the flow. JMO

Chef_Stef Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:49pm
post #18 of 25

Yep, you know, I'm thinking monochrome is better (it was the chanting, you know lol).

Reading the bride's notes, she wants elegant and "subdued" on the cake, and if the flowers are pinks, the lighter coppery ribbon won't work as well (though if they were autumn flower colors, it would be great).

The cake is made to match her invitations, too (forgot this), and they are the exact same deep brown with scrolls on them, BUT the scrolls are...silver. So the goldish ribbon won't be right that way, either.

I do love the ribbon, but I think in this case I better take it off, but thanks for all the votes *for* it, icon_wink.gif You guys are great for helping me think out loud, with lots of help!

I'll post the finished cake set up later tonight, and I think the monochrome is going to be great with the pink.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:14pm
post #19 of 25

I can't wait to see this with the bead border and the pink roses!!! I just love it! Looks yummy too!! icon_biggrin.gif

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:20pm
post #20 of 25

I think you should keep the ribbon. It looks perfect just the way it is. Beautiful job!

Chef_Stef Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #21 of 25

Ok, well, it didn't have the big finale ending I hoped for. I delivered this to the ...private home where the reception got moved to on 24 hours notice (instead of a wine cellar who booted them 2 days ago due to lack of space). Arrived to drop the cake off, and no one's there, no flowers, yada yada, so here it sits on the counter withOUT the flowers. I always do the flowers, but they said the florist would do them when she got there with the wedding party in an hour. WAH. I asked them to send me a pic of "however" it turns out.

Did do the monochrome thing, and I like it, but I reallyreallyreally wanted to see the flowers. icon_razz.gif
LL

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:32am
post #22 of 25

It's beautiful even without the flowers. You did a great job!!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:43am
post #23 of 25

It really is beautiful. Lovely work. I hope they send you a picture with the flowers.

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:57am
post #24 of 25

It's beautiful.

Sweetpeeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeeps Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:33am
post #25 of 25

beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%