Pricing Help

Business By n_manges Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 6:10pm by tiptop57

n_manges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
n_manges Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:41am
post #1 of 11

I need a cake for 300 people, but have to write every guest name on it . I have a picture of what the bride wants. I was trying to figure out a price. Is $500.00 to much?
LL

10 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 1:54am
post #2 of 11

Actually, $500 for a cake that feeds 300 is TOO little, that is less than $2 per serving! It will be all buttercream, right? Have you calculated how many tiers you will need?? I would charge at least $2.50 per serving OR you can multiply your cost (down to a small % of your electric bill) by 3, this will give you a pretty accurate number. Hope this helps!!
(also call bakeries in your area to see how much they are charging, that always helps!)
Good Luck!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:13am
post #3 of 11

I agree $500 is to little also. My starting price for that cake with a basic cake flavor, buttercream filling, and buttercream icing would be $600.

Since you then have to add guest names to it I would charge another $150 minimum for that, it is going to take awhile to figure out how to space everyones names.... and when is she going to have the final list to you? I would say at least 3-4 weeks in advance so it gives you time to get ready.

If there is a filling in the cake then for 300 servings it would be another $150 for my basic fillings.

So my base price for that cake would be $750, this includes delivery within a 7 mi radius of the center of town.

Also, what sizes are you planning on doing? I can't come up with exactly 300 servings for a cake. You want to make sure you are charging for what you are making, not how many she is wanting to feed.... the closest I can get is 297 servings with a 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and this is including the 6" in the servings. (oh my I just realized you are going to have to write 300 names on that cake and make them fit... hmm... I might up that price for the names.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:23am
post #4 of 11

My price for BC only is $3/serving = $900 PLUS I'm not sure you could pay me enough to put all the names on the cake, so be sure you charge a proper LABOR FEE to cover doing that. That is something definitley above and beyond!

They are not paying $900 for A CAKE. They are paying $900 to feed dessert to 300 people.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:06am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

They are not paying $900 for A CAKE. They are paying $900 to feed dessert to 300 people.

thumbs_up.gif Couldn't have said it better! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 3:11am
post #6 of 11

Pssst! And exactly how much space DO you need to fit THREE HUNDRED NAMES on a cake!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If it takes you only 1 minute per name .... ONLY ONE!!!! ...... , that's 300 minutes divided by 60 = 5 hours just to put the names on. If you're slower than that, or more careful (i.e. slower) or the names are long, then you may be looking at 7 to 10 hours just to put the names on.

If you get any flack from the client for the name-charge you're going to add on (and you ARE going to add one on!), be sure to share these numbers with her and ask her how much it would take for HER to work 10 hours doing the detail work?

Debi Does Data!! thumbs_up.gif

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Pssst! And exactly how much space DO you need to fit THREE HUNDRED NAMES on a cake!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If it takes you only 1 minute per name .... ONLY ONE!!!! ...... , that's 300 minutes divided by 60 = 5 hours just to put the names on. If you're slower than that, or more careful (i.e. slower) or the names are long, then you may be looking at 7 to 10 hours just to put the names on.

If you get any flack from the client for the name-charge you're going to add on (and you ARE going to add one on!), be sure to share these numbers with her and ask her how much it would take for HER to work 10 hours doing the detail work?

Debi Does Data!! thumbs_up.gif

OMG you are the bomb indydebi LOL I couldnt have said that better. Whoa thats a lot of above and beyond. Can you, like increase the margins under page setup?.... oh wait.. we are talking about a cake. Dangit.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 11

OK so I did a little more math on this myself. I found out how much room you will have on each of the cakes (using the cake sizes I listed above) and I figured on average 5 letters per name with one space so a total of 6 spaces for each name. Doing this and getting 300 names on these cakes your letter (and spaces) will not be able to be more than about 5/8"x5/8" to fit 300 names that are 5 characters long. So if you have a higher average then your letter/spaces are going to have to be smaller.

Now I am in no way trying to talk you out of this b/c it definitely can be done, I just want to make sure you realize how long it is going to take.

Great break down Debi... hmm I am starting to think maybe $1/name... $300 is sounding a little more reasonable, no matter how you put the names on there it is going to take awhile, expecially to make sure all of the spellings are correct and someone is going to have to figure out how to space them all... and I doubt your client will do that.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with the $1 a name suggestion. Maybe you could talk the bride into just doing names of important people.

If I was doing that cake, $900 is about what my bill would be. The amount of hours to write 300 names..... icon_eek.gif

KellyAnne1284 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyAnne1284 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 11

I would charge probably around $5 per serving for that cake. At 300 people, that's $1500. I think you're selling yourself WAY short. Ingredients and supplies alone to make that cake will probably be close to $100. Maybe more, depending on what you use. Any idea how many hours and hours it is going to take you to write all of those names on there? Not to mention the stress of it all - making sure the writing is so nice, etc. I would say at least a grand for that. AT LEAST.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 11

300 hundred names on the cake shown can't be done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%