Question About Toba's Icing

Baking By Peeverly Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 7:23am by nnicole1234

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 27

Hope you all can help. I want to try Toba Garrett's glace icing. Can I pipe over her icing with royal or do I use her icing in a bag for accents? Thanks for your help!

26 replies
writer_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writer_mom Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 27

You can easily pipe over the glace icing with royal. I wait until the glace dries a little, but I heard others had success piping when it was still wet. The glace spreads a bit too much for me to use it for piping, but maybe it you added more powdered sugar, it could be used for piping as well?

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 4:57am
post #3 of 27

I have made a batch of cookies with Toba's glace icing and then iced over with royal icing after glace icing had set. Had no problem. Cookie pics are in my photos.

writer_mom : Love your avatar. Brings a smile to my face!

babyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyj Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 27

icon_sad.gif I made Toba's "Glace" icing and I followed to a "T", but for some reason, it was "runny" and it "ran" all over the place. Should I add more powered sugar? I also could not get the "red" that I was looking for and I used Wilton's Christmas red. I need a really red for the "thank you" gift I'm giving to those who contributed $50 or more dollars for the aidswalk I participated in. I did the "awarness" ribbon. I used Martha's Stewart's Sugar Cookies I recipe. I get great reviews with that recipe, but I noticed this time when I baked them, they spread - I now know that I need to "chill" before baking.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 27

i use toba's all the time. make sure you add enough powdered sugar to get the icing thick enough to accent with. i like toba's better than royal because it doesn't break as easy

kneadacookie Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 27

babyj did you outline first and then flood? real red should come if you let the icing sit a while.

Yjudania Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yjudania Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 1:51am
post #7 of 27

I actually prefer Toba's glace to royal because it is easier to make up and cheaper. I just make it to my liking and don't go by the recipe so much. If I need it to outline, I eyeball it (as Rachel Ray says). First I add the milk to the powdered sugar, just enough so that it is pretty stiff and then add the corn syrup just enough for that glossy but still stiff consistency. If I need to flood, I add more liquid until it is the consistency that I need.

HTH

mitsel8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mitsel8 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:38am
post #8 of 27

I definately prefer toba's icing to royal. Antonia's royal is a little bit shiny, but you can't beat the shine of toba's. I just add powdered sugar till I get the right consistency for the details. All of my cookie photos in my gallery were done with toba's, except the halloween ones.

Flowerpot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowerpot Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:43am
post #9 of 27

Can you do anything with Toba's icing vs. royal icing? Just wondering because I sure want to give it a try.

Flowerpot Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:45am
post #10 of 27

mitsel8- where can I see your photo's? You mentioned they were in your gallery--I'm sort of new here and don't know how to go to ones individual gallery.

mitsel8 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:53am
post #11 of 27

Flowerpot-
I'm new here also, I just meant my photos not my gallery, that sounds a little bit funny. Just click on photos on the bottom of my post.

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:54am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerpot

mitsel8- where can I see your photo's? You mentioned they were in your gallery--I'm sort of new here and don't know how to go to ones individual gallery.

Flowerpot,just click on the photos button at the bottom of her message and her individual pics will come up.

Flowerpot Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:00am
post #13 of 27

Oh for goodness sake--thank you so much.

babyj Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:50pm
post #14 of 27

Hello All!
I made Toba's Glace icing again last night, thinking that I "missed" something and it still came out thin, but I did decide to add more powder sugar, which I didn't do at the time cause I was trying to get the "red" color right. I did let it sit overnight, but it's still not red. I've been using christimas red gel color by wilton, but it still looks a bit orangy. The more I add, the more I taste the color. I've added butter flavor extract along with the vanilla, which I read somewhere on the forum for another recipe, so that did cut the after taste down some. What brand and what "red" color should I use to get the "fire engine" red color that I want? Thanks!

babyj Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 2:54pm
post #15 of 27

Oh I forgot, no I did't outline first, cause the icing was running all over the place - apparently I didn't make it thick enough to outline - so if I the "outline" icing was thick enough, then I guess my "running" icing would have been fine..... icon_biggrin.gif

nnicole1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nnicole1234 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:25pm
post #16 of 27

Hello,

I want to decorate some dolphin cookies for my daughters birthday next month but I have never done that before.... icon_redface.gif

I read about Toba icing but I can't find her recepi anywhere. icon_eek.gif

Can anyone tell me how to make this icing so I van try is ?

It would be great if the measurements are in grams because I am dutch and live in Holland (europe).

Thanks ! thumbs_up.gif
Nicole

babyj Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:59pm
post #17 of 27

Hi nnicole1234
Here's the recipe, but I couldn't figure out how to convert to grams/metric.

1 lb powder/confectionery sugar
6 tbs milk or water if dairy is a concern
6 tbs light corn syrup
1/2 tsp butter flavor extract*
1/2 tsp vanilla extract*

* I added this myself, not part of the original recipe.

mix powder sugar and milk in a bowl - until "heavy cream" consistency
add corn syrup - mix well
add flavor or any flavoring of your choice

If it's too running, which I have run in to, add more powder sugar until the desired consistency.

If you can find her books on her website - www.tobagarrett.com and her Cookie book - Creative Cookies.

Good luck!

kbselig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbselig Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:12pm
post #18 of 27

I only use toba's glace, I add small amts. of water instead of milk just to wet the sugar then add corn syrup until I get the perfect consistency, I outline & flood with the same icing & I never have a problem, also I add butter flavor and clear vanilla & everyone loves it.

babyj Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #19 of 27

kbelig,
does it dry quicker when using water instead of milk? Also, does it dry very hard or is it hard enough to stack, but soft when you bite it like some of the other recipes I've come across in the forum?

kbselig Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 8:50pm
post #20 of 27

It doesn't dry any quicker, it takes about 12 hours for them to be totally dry, but it does dry hard enough to stack. I forgot to mention I add about a tablespoon of glycerin when I add the corn syrup and it helps to keep them shiny.

mitsel8 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:20am
post #21 of 27

nnicole1234:
Here are the measurements for Toba's icing in grams:
1lb (454 g) confectioners' sugar
3/8 cup (90 ml) milk
3/8 cup (126 g) light corn syrup

Just follow the recipe instructions posted by babyj.

Peeverly Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 12:37am
post #22 of 27

Thanks everyone for the info. I made the icing and it was runny. I should have added more powdered sugar. Also, question about coloring. I tinted the icing a few colors and they were fine but I wanted white. The icing was kind of clear and it didn't really dry white. Should I have added more powdered sugar to get it whiter or what am I missing?

kbselig Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 1:41am
post #23 of 27

I add whitener right to the icing in the mixer, it makes it a really nice white and the colors seem to come out brighter too.

kneadacookie Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 1:58pm
post #24 of 27

mitsel8 the recipe also calls for 1 teasp of vanilla. i also add almond extract also

mohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mohara Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:28pm
post #25 of 27

For the really "red red" you should use Americolor food gels. They are awesome and you only need a little bit. They have a few different versions of red and they have a white too. If you go to a site that sells Americolor, they normally have a color chart. I know Cake Central sells Americolor now, but I don't know if they have the color chart. Sugarcraft sells them. They also make a white, and I just purchased it but never tried it yet. They have a super red that I have been told is a great red, but they also have a few other reds. You only need a few drops and it works awesome....wilton you normally have to use the whole jar!

I just made some black bats for Halloween and I only needed a drop or two. Americolor also has some really great hues...teal, electric pink, etc.

Peeverly Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:45am
post #26 of 27

Okay, I tried the whitening for the icing and it works great. Thank you soooo much!!! I will also try the americolor gels since they come very highly recommended. You guys are great!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

nnicole1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nnicole1234 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 7:23am
post #27 of 27

Thank you for your recepi and help !!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%