Help Help Help!!! This Can't Go Like This This Weekend!!!

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 7 Sep 2007 , 12:36am by KrisD13

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 11

SO WALMART WAS OUTTA THEIR SHORTENING THAT I'VE BEEN USING SINCE "THE CHANGE". I HATE THE NEW CRISCO. SO I GOT SOME WINN DIXIE SHORTENING, WHICH I'VE HAD SUCCESS WITH BEFORE. WELL THIS TIME MY ICING IS CRAP! WAY SOFT, NOT CRUSTING WELL. I JUST DISASSEMBLED A FINISHED TIERED CAKE TO SCRAPE THE SAGGY ICING OFF AND RECOVER IT. NOW I'M WAITING FOR A CRUST AND NOT GETTING MUCH OF ONE. ANY IDEAS ON A WAY TO STABELIZE IT. (THE ICING I MEAN) I'VE USED LESS SHORTENING AND LIQUID, BUT NOT HELPING THIS TIME!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_evil.gif

10 replies
sarahnichole975 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 11

......please......

Cake-Happy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Happy Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 11

You might could try adding some Meringue to the icing... maybe that will work? I'm fairly new to caking too, but I think that might help it crust. I totally can't stand the new Crisco either (for the exact same reason). Others suggested that instead of using all water, that you use some milk to give the icing some "fat". Hopefully someone else with expertise will chime in soon. Good Luck!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 11

Nic does it need to be thicker or is it just falling off? I know you are more seasoned at this then me...but did you put a crumb coat on to adhere the thicker icing?

sarahnichole975 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks you two for the advice! I already use milk so....
I may try some meringue powder. Christi, I've never been a crumb coater. It seems like the icing is just really soft. Almost like it's melting. I just threw out a bunch I had made (AHHHHH! I HATE THROWING IT OUT CUZ I HATE MAKING IT!) and it seems to be a bit stiffer. I just opened a new bottle of butter flavoring. Wonder if the old stuff had turned a bit or something. It tastes okay though. OH well I'm hoping.....

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 11

I knew it would work out for ya!!! It always does doesn't it? icon_biggrin.gif !!!

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 11

I've had good luck with adding a tablespoon or two of corn starch to an all butter buttercream icing recipe to stablize it.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 11

There is a recipe on here somewhere to get the icing to behave with the new crisco. I just don't know where. I'm sure it's in the recipes!

If I still lived in NOLA I'd come help ya' out!

sarahnichole975 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks dodi! I'm sure you'd be GREAT help. Why don't you come on back. Just so you can be my cake buddy!!! lol haha!! The new batch seems to be behaving better. whew! Sometimes I guess you just gotta start over.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:28am
post #10 of 11

If we get to come back for a visit I'll holler at you! icon_lol.gif

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 12:36am
post #11 of 11

I can't remember who, but they add some of the powdered Whipped Topping to their recipe. It apparently adds back in the fats that are needed to keep the icing from sliding down/off the cake. There was a thread I read it in the other day.

Maybe add 1 or 2 tsp to your buttercream recipe? I think that's what was added.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%