South Florida Co-Op Kitchen

Business By andiesweet Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 9:45pm by andiesweet

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know if there is a co-op kitchen or a shared kitchen in this area? I am trying to get licensed, and need a inspected kitchen. I have heard of these before ( saw if on food network a couple of years ago i think) where several small business use 1 kitchen, they keep their supplies there and pay for the time they use there. If anyone knows what I'm talking about please help if you can icon_smile.gif thanks

8 replies
nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 2:47am
post #2 of 9

I know what you are talking about but sorry, don't have any info on your area... I was wondering the same thing for JAX, FL... anyone?

Nalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nalis Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 9

Cape Coral, FL here and I was wondering the same thing. I was going to try contacting small businesses in the area to see if they would agree to let me 'rent' time in their kitchen. I just don't know what would be a fair price. Per hour? By the week?? Monthly??? icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif
Help!!!!

andiesweet Posted 7 Sep 2007 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 9

My DH tells me i should try the Moose Lodge or one of these _____ American Club ( poilsh, italian whatever) I'm gonna call them and see if they rent their kitchen.
Wonder how you get one of those kitchens started. i have heard that non profit org . set these up sometimes, they call them incubator kitchens also.

Nalis Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 9

That's a great idea! I think I'm going to try calling a few places this week. I'll post again if I find one that will work with me and what they are asking for, for rent.

Nalis Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 9

I just got off the phone with the woman at the Italian-American club here in Cape Coral. I explained what I was trying to do and asked if it was possible for me to rent time in their kitchen. She said no because they have parties at all times and it might interfere. I said, what if I called in advance and scheduled time and worked around their parties. At this point she got EXTREMELY RUDE and said "I said no. Look this is for the Italian American members and we're not going to rent to someone". I said "ok, I just want to ask you what problems you can see with this type of arrangement. I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to know what the issues are from the business' stand point to see if this is even possible". (She was talking over me while I was trying to get this last sentence out.) She then huffed and said very rudely "I've already told you no" then hung up on me. This is the first place I've called and I can't tell you how discouraged I am at this point. I'm debating just bagging the whole idea and giving up. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

andiesweet Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 9

DON"T GIVE UP!! I'm a little frustrated at this point too... I called a caterer that is close to me, i asked her if she rents out her kitchen, she said she never thought about it, and she was gonna talk to her partner. So we'll see.
My DH also suggested that i call a few local churches to see if they rent out their space.
I did call another fraternal organization... she said that the members have access to the kitchen, so it might be worth it if you became a member to get the kitchen access. just a thought

Nalis Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 9

andiesweet, it sounds like you are having more luck than I am. I've been having a really bad day all around and that woman's rudeness was the cherry on my day. I'll try a few places tomorrow. I've also wondered how much it would be to get together with a few decorators, set up a kitchen together and share the cost of rent..... icon_rolleyes.gif My DH said it would never work. I hate when he tells me that...it just makes me want to prove him wrong icon_lol.gif

andiesweet Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 9

your hubby might have a point... why invite the competition if you don't have to. The next thing you know someone might be stealing your business. Try to find a small catering operation that has a kitchen... who knows they might even refer business to you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%