Help!!! Advice On Making A Barbie Doll Cake

Decorating By angeleyes2 Updated 6 Sep 2007 , 3:16pm by Liz1028

angeleyes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeleyes2 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:43pm
post #1 of 5

How do I make the pleats in fondant and then attach it around the bottom of the doll mold? (the picture of the doll is actually in Wilton's 2002 cake book and also on the box for the doll cake mold kit.

4 replies
odm_post Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
odm_post Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 5

What a coincidence.... I was just about to post the same question. I need to make one next week icon_razz.gif
What would you charge for this kind of cake? I might add an 8" as I'll be using the whole barbie doll.

TIA

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 5

I am not sure what the picture looks like, but when I do my barbie cakes i just roll the fondant into a big circle and drape it over the cake. i then cut a small hole in the top and tuck the fondant into the hole in the top of the cake. for the folds in the fondant i just move it around to create the folds. there is a picture in my photos.

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 5

There are actually some great instructions that come with Wilton's doll cake kit. I didn't get mine out of the box to read them until I had done half of the cake already, and was upset with myself for not looking at them sooner.

The short answer is, you frost the cake with buttercream first (that will make the fondant skirt stick) and then place fondant "logs" around it where you will want the pleats before applying the skirt.

I love doll cakes! Post pics when you're done! icon_smile.gif

Liz1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liz1028 Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 5

Albumangel is correct! icon_wink.gif To get the pleats shown in the Wilton book, they made fondant logs that they placed on top of the cake then draped the fondant over the cake and the pleats naturally fall into place. Just smooth very carefully so as to not make intentions into the "logs" so that you get nice smooth pleats.

Can't wait to see pics! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%